Default Asked to Find a Cosigner After Signing the Lease

This is regarding Wisconsin law.
    I signed a lease and afterwards the landlord asked me and my roommates to obtain cosigners. In the print of the lease, there is no mention of cosigner.
    I emailed my future landlord and told him that I would not be able to obtain a cosigner, to which he replied that not getting one would void the lease.
    Two questions:
    1. Am I in any way required to get a cosigner, if there is not one included in the lease or any other agreements?
    2. If I do not, would the fact that he, for the lack of a better word, 'threatened' me with voiding the lease, against any kind of law?

Thanks for any kind of help.

Default Re: Asked to Find a Cosigner After Signing the Lease

Sup Nick.

Has your landlord also signed the lease?
    Have you moved in?
    Is he asking for someone to guarantee the lease, or just to sign as a witness?

In my limited experience consulting with free legal aide, a landlord will want a co-signer to guarantee the lease that is usually a parent or relative, i.e. someone with deep pockets to go after in case the lease is broken.

Default Re: Asked to Find a Cosigner After Signing the Lease

Yes, the lease is signed by both parties.
    We haven't moved in, it starts mid August.

The lease has already been signed, and when we did he did mention anything about a cosigner until afterwards. The lease is a full legal contract already, but now he's requiring one. But my thing is, he cannot actually require one since the lease has already been signed, unless there is some cosigner law I don't know about (which I highly doubt).
    And I'm curious about the seemingly 'threat' he made about it voiding the lease, even though it has been signed.

1. Sponsored Links