Default SSI and SSDI Benefits

I am conducting legal research for the state of: Texas

Hey guys. Long time no see

I was wondering if yall could provide the answers i am seeking regarding SSI/SSDI requirements? About 9 months ago my aunt fell down the stairs of her home and fractured her leg in several places. Normally a broken leg is a relatively minor injury (relatively being the operative word LOL) with recovery time under 2 months, however; due to her being unemployed, uninsured and the absents of a community/charity hospital in her area, the people at the ER were only able to put her leg in a splint. Long story short, here she is 9 months later sill just as debilitated as she was the day of the fall. She cannot walk at all, we think the bone is still broken (or possibly grew back wrong) her muscle tissue in her leg is completely gone.

My question is: If her condition is to remain permanent for the rest of her life (I consider this to be the most likely case, but I'm no doctor), would she qualify for some form of disability? I don't know about you, but I consider the inability to WALK pretty serious. Hell, my neighbor gets over 1500 a month and the only thing wrong with him is chronic back pain. I also know a man who gets 900 a month SSI for being Bi-polar...

Default Re: Ssi/SSDI Benifts

Hey Blue! Long time no see!

Your aunt first of all needs medical care - if she is low or no income, doesn't she qualify for state aid? How old is she?

She needs to apply for disability. That's really the only way she's going to find out if she's entitled to anything.

If she qualifies medically, she can get either SSDI (depending on her work history - that's the one you pay into) or SSI (that one is needs-based), or a combination of both.

Please bear in mind though that many paraplegics are able to work, as are many quadraplegics. Being unable to walk isn't going to be the deciding factor.

The main point is though that it's free to apply, and she won't get anything if she doesn't!

She can do it online, too

ETA: a word about the two conditions you've mentioned. Chronic back pain can mean you literally cannot sit or stand in the same place for more than a couple of minutes at a time - it can be a completely debilitating condition. Bipolar, even when treated, can still result in symptoms that make it impossible to hold down a job. I know many people sometimes blow both of them off as trivial, or non-disabling but the reality is that both can be absolutely disabling.

Default Re: Ssi/SSDI Benifts

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Hey Blue! Long time no see!
    Yeah! How ya been?

Your aunt first of all needs medical care
    Agreed 110%
    - if she is low or no income, doesn't she qualify for state aid?
    Sadly no.
    How old is she?
    She needs to apply for disability. That's really the only way she's going to find out if she's entitled to anything.
    Ok.
    If she qualifies medically, she can get either SSDI (depending on her work history - that's the one you pay into) or SSI (that one is needs-based), or a combination of both.
    Understood.

Please bear in mind though that many paraplegics are able to work, as are many quadraplegics. Being unable to walk isn't going to be the deciding factor.
    A lot of blind people are able to work too, but it still qualify as a disabality.
    The main point is though that it's free to apply, and she won't get anything if she doesn't!

She can do it online, too
    Thanks

ETA: a word about the two conditions you've mentioned. Chronic back pain can mean you literally cannot sit or stand in the same place for more than a couple of minutes at a time - it can be a completely debilitating condition.
    She cant stand up period! I know first hand how serious backpain is, but at least you can walk with a bad back. Hell, I worked with a sore back for over a week.
    Bipolar, even when treated, can still result in symptoms that make it impossible to hold down a job.
    The person I am refering to has 2 degrees from North Texas univesity, graduated first in his class, and served 2 years in the US navy. If he can accomplish all that, he can hold down a job. He's just to damn lazy.
    I know many people sometimes blow both of them off as trivial, or non-disabling but the reality is that both can be absolutely disabling.
    So can being unable to walk...

1. Sponsored Links