Angry Personal Info Given Out by Dealership

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: WA State

Hello. We traded in our vehicle to a high end dealership recently and got a new vehicle. Today the new owner of the car we traded in showed up at my husband's workplace (he was off from work) and started asking questions about the car (just ensuring it was as perfect as it sounded, which it was). It appears that the dealership not only told the new owners that he owned the car, but also gave them his place of employment. Is this legal? If not, what legal ramifications are there?

I found this forum via Google, so I apologize if this is posted in an inappropriate place, but thank anyone who can help. Thank you!

Default Re: Personal Info Given Out by Dealership

It's not clear at this point that the dealership did anything wrong. Perhaps the person somehow obtained the information from state vehicle records or "shoulder surfed" it off of the dealership's records. If the car was previously listed for sale, such as through AutoTrader or craigslist, it may be that your husband was tracked down as a result of that listing. Didn't your husband ask how the person found him?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Perhaps the person somehow obtained the information from state vehicle records...
    This would be my guess. Maybe there is way to get the complete title history of a vehicle in WA?

The car has never been listed for sale on any site, other than by the Dealership on the Dealership's website and I have seen the listing and in it there is no identifiers of who he is or where he works. The woman has been calling his work repeatedly now asking questions and apparently has not even purchased it yet, she was just looking at it. She called him for 45 minutes yesterday.

My husband contacted the dealership today and they admitted to telling her his place of employment and she knew his name as well and in fact it appears they took her on a test drive to his place of employment. He has confronted this dealership and all they have done thus far is apologize. I feel this must be illegal. Do we have grounds to take some sort of legal action?

Oops I missed one of your questions. Yes, he did ask her how she found him and she said the Dealership told her.

The Drivers Privacy Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. 2721 et. seq., applies to DMV employees, but I don't know of a similar law that would apply to a car dealership.

[QUOTE=jessicah;485351
    she knew his name as well
    [/QUOTE]

Who knew his name? The lady knew it before she ever went into the dealership? That would be odd.

Your husband needs to tell the woman that any questions she has should be directed at the dealership. As he is no longer the owner, he is out of the equation. He should also tell her if she continues calling him and coming to his workplace, he will make a call...to the police. He needs to make it perfectly clear to her that further contact is NOT welcome, preferably with a witness like a co-worker if she comes to the office. That will make life easier with the police if he has to press charges.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Who knew his name? The lady knew it before she ever went into the dealership? That would be odd.
    She knew his name because the dealership told her his name and where he worked and that he previously owned the car. The dealership has called twice to apologize and admitted fault at this point, because they did give this complete stranger his personal information and we have no idea why. Ironically the guy who sold her his used Infiniti is the same guy that originally sold him the car 3 years ago, so it is not surprising he remembered my husband, as they were really chatty back when we bought that car as the guy had the exact same coupe and they were talking about it for quite awhile. Even the dude who sold him his 2011 Infiniti that had nothing to do with what happened called and apologized for what transpired, so I think it is clear they did something they shouldn't have and I am still wondering if there are legal ramifications for violating his privacy.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    The Drivers Privacy Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. 2721 et. seq., applies to DMV employees, but I don't know of a similar law that would apply to a car dealership.
    Interesting, thanks!

1. Sponsored Links