Default Bad Drug Deal or Robbery

My question involves criminal law for the state of: NJ
    My friend and two of his friends went to pick up drugs from a drug dealer. The drug dealer got inside the car and pullled a knife on my friend demanding the money. They didn't give up the money and the beat the kid up inside the car and then threw him out. A witness placed a 911 call saying she saw a fight in a car that's it. The kid went to police station and filed a report saying my friend took drugs he was going to sell to him? How is he not getting in any trouble? He also stated they took his wallet? Which they never took anything from the kid. I am just wondering if his charged is going to be downgraded with a plea bargin? He is sitting in jail with a first degree robbery charg. He got a exspensive lawyer. His two other friends didn't get caught the victim couldn't identify them and my friend isn't giving up the names? My question is does he have a good chance in court?

Default Re: Bad Drug Deal or Robbery

A good chance at what? Being acquitted? He might have a better chance if he were willing to produce any evidence on his own behalf, but from what you've told us he's likely going to take the Fifth at trial and he's refusing to produce witnesses who will contradict the statement of the alleged victim.

Your friend can talk to his lawyer about his chances at trial and why the prosecutor might not have charged, or might be delaying a decision on charging, the (confessed) drug dealer.

No not on being aqutitted on his lawyer said he's going to try to get his charges dropped to a third degree theft and he does have evedinve on his behalf he hasn't made any statements yet or spoken to the police without his lawyer

What is "evedinve"? Oh... evidence? That would be what?

And again, you're asking if he has a good chance at what?

1. Sponsored Links