Default Can My Landlord Change Lease Terms After the Lease is Signed

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: North Carolina

We just moved into an apt about 1 1/2 weeks ago. There are only 4 apt in the unit, 2 up and 2 down. We were lord by the lady working in the office that in addition to the parking in front of the building that there was additional parking in the back. She never asked how many vehicles we have. There is no mention of parking whatsoever in the lease. While we were moving in, 3 days in a row a visitor of the upstairs apt was parked in front of our door. The 3rd day my fiancee asked the fellow sitting in the car to please move to a different spot as we were trying to move stuff in to the apt. The next day there was a letter from the landlord's office taped to the door stating that 1st floor tenants were only allowed 2 parking spots and any additional vehicles would be required to park arcoss the street as well as any guests visiting. My fiancee walked to the office to inquire and was told by the secretary that it was a standard practice every Jan to remind tenants of parking rules. Now the letter was addressed specifically to us with the wording of 1st floor tenants. She was also told that the back parking lot was only for upstairs tennants which contridicts what she told us before was signed the lease. The street they are talking about us crossing it busy and hard to cross. Can they impose these rules on us now when it condridicts the verbal instructions they gave before we moved in and with there not being anything in the lease about parking. Also the upstairs tennants continue to have visitors park downstairs daily. Isn't this discriminatory? Thanks.

Default Re: Can My Landlord Change Lease Terms After the Lease is Signed

So are you stating that their are four spots behind the building? How many cars were you planning on parking in those spots, such that this became an issue?

Does your lease give you any right to on-site parking at all?

Default Re: Can My Landlord Change Lease Terms After the Lease is Signed

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    So are you stating that their are four spots behind the building? How many cars were you planning on parking in those spots, such that this became an issue?

Does your lease give you any right to on-site parking at all?
    No, there is a parking lot in back with no lines. It would probably hold 4 or 5 cars easily. In front there are 4 marked spots with room on either side unmarked that will hold probably 3 more cars. I have 2 cars and one truck that I am using to move furniture and such. The problem started when my fiancee asked a visitor to one of the upstairs tenants if he would move his car to another spot so we could bring in stuff from the truck. For 3 straight days they were parking in front of our door when there were other open spots. The lease does not mention anything at all about parking. The secretary with whom we signed the lease with told us that we could park in front and if we needed additional parking, we could park in back. In the letter they placed on the door, they state that the back parking lot is only for the upstairs tennants and we can only have 2 cars in the front lot and any others have to be parked across the street as well as any guests we have. The main issue I have is that the rules have changed as well as the fact that the upstairs tennants have more than 2 cars parked in back and their guests park in the front lot daily. I think this is because two of the tennants upstairs are sisters with the office manager. I think they went to her complaining when my fiancee asked their guest to move.

1. Sponsored Links