Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Lake Mary, fl

    Default Voluntarily Terminating Parental Rights

    My question involves paternity law for the State of: New York
    I live in FL and have a son in NY who lives with his father. I need to find out how to terminate my parental rights without obtaining a lawyer. I am unable to pay child support (which is over due $30k and have no $ for a lawyer-I will probably be homeless soon) and am afriad I will go to jail for back child support now. I have received papers from the state of FL saying I need to pay or they will take criminal action. I only have contact with my son 1-2 times a yr now and have no input in his life, although I have joint custody. How and where can I file the papers on my own?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Voluntarily Terminating Parental Rights

    It doesn't work that way.

    If your ex-spouse has remarried, you are free to suggest to him that he and his wife consider stepparent adoption. Your rights would be terminated by the completion of that process.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Voluntarily Giving Up Parental Rights
    By andyspangler in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2010, 02:34 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 10:10 AM
  3. How Do You Voluntarily Give Up Parental Rights
    By jenlvsrob06 in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 09:25 PM
  4. Voluntarily giving up parental rights
    By whiteroses in forum Paternity Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 07:44 PM
  5. Court Proceedings: Terminating Parental Rights of Bio Mom
    By karen1970 in forum Abuse and Neglect
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 12:22 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources