Unhappy Can a 'father' get custody and visitation if never married?

Let's see if I can do the short of the long here. My ex and I were together but never married. We have a son together but the three adults involved think it's the cousin of my ex's kid and not the ex's. The ex has his name on the birth cert. I read somewhere that I can contest it b/c I didn't know what I was signing in the hospital. The handed my dozens of papers to sign after having a c-section and just said sign here sign here. My husband (new partner) and I have moved out of state with my/our son. My ex is or was an alcoholic. He had the cops called on him a few times by the neighbors has had a couple DUIs no DL and just took care of a two year old warrant. He hasn't been on the record as working for at least ten years now and had his own company but never filled his tax paperwork on that. So, you have more than you need now. My questions are: How likely is he to get joint custody? Visitation? Anything else? What are my rights to child support? What paperwork should I be filling? My ex will be 38 this year, no job, lives at home with his parents and my son doesn't even want to call him on the phone. My son told me he doesn't like his 'dad' when my ex and I were together. I want to keep this a messy as possible. I don't care about the child support as long as I have my son to me. I'm the one that took care of him anyway. Father was too busy drinking and getting high. So glad I'm out of that relationship - I'm chalking it up to being young and stupid. I also have letters he wrote me about how *f*ed up he is and how he knows he's not doing a good job etc etc. Those may come in handy? By the way, it's all in southern CA.

Default Re: Can a 'father' get custody/visitation if never married?

Is there currently any custody litigation, and have any custody orders previously been issued?

Default Re: Can a 'father' get custody/visitation if never married?

If you want child support, you will need to file for it with the courts. The likely hood of him getting visitation is mostly going to depend on the judge. If your ex does file for visitation rights, you will most definately want to get a lawyer and request supervised visitation. Keep those letters, they could come in handy. Get a notebook and write down EVERY bit of contact you or your son has with the ex, date, time and summary.

1. Sponsored Links