Default Failure to Carry Insurance Card

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New York, but I live in Massachusetts

In driving home from visiting relatives in PA over the holidays, my husband and I were involved in a fender-bender in NY. The car is registered to me and I am the primary on the auto insurance; my husband was driving at the time.

We were clearly not at fault and that is not an issue. However, the officer at the scene ticketed my husband for not having an insurance card. This is something of a problem because our home state of Massachusetts neither requires nor issues insurance cards. The vehicle registration shows the insurance and, in fact, functions as an insurance card. I tried to explain this to the officer but either because I was still shaken up and did not explain well, or because he was simply not interested, or both, he told us to write a letter and dispute it.

I am in the process of doing so. I also have already been given a back up letter from our insurance agent confirming that in MA, there is no such thing as an insurance card. I plan to send a copy of my registration with the insurance information circled; this was the suggestion of our insurance agent.

My question to you is, should I write the letter in my husband's name and have him sign it, since it is his name on the ticket, or in mine, since I am the registered owner and the primary on the insurance? We are both listed on the policy but it is in my name. Ownership of the car is solely in my name.

Default Re: Failure to Carry Insurance Card

Has your husband been able to discuss the ticket with the prosecutor responsible for its prosecution? The prosecutor may well be receptive to dismissing the ticket upon receipt of documentation that you were in compliance with Massachusetts law, but my preference would be to lay some groundwork for that before sending off the letter. Given that your husband is the defendant, the cover letter associated with the submission would come from him; but if it is helpful to include as a supporting document a letter from you confirming that you're his spouse and were the registered owner of the vehicle (or anything else that may be helpful), I see no reason not to provide one.

Default Re: Failure to Carry Insurance Card

I think you can call the NY police dept for instruction, non-emergency for sure.

1. Sponsored Links