Default What is a Journalist

My question involves civil rights in the United States

I am sure most of you have heard of Wikileaks and the legal troubles that are hounding its founder Julian Assange. My question is simple, what is the legal definition of the United States, and are foreign born non-citizens protected underneath the constitution? What I am trying to figure out is, does Assange qualify as a journalist (I would also like to know the definition) and is he protected underneath the first despite not being a citizen of the United States.

Default Re: What is a Journalist

There's no unitary definition of "journalist". You can research the statutes of each state to see if and how "journalist" is defined.

Non-citizens acting outside of the U.S. don't have any protections under the U.S. Constitution; but if arrested and tried in a federal court within the U.S. they would get the standard set of protections afforded to criminal defendants.

Quote Quoting Bombtrack19
    View Post
    My question is simple, what is the legal definition of the United States, and are foreign born non-citizens protected underneath the constitution?
    The legal definition of the United States is whatever Congress assigns to it. I have seen a few definitions in the US Code, depending on what was meant to be covered under that Title, but here is one from the Criminal Code:

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 1 > 5
    United States defined:

The term “United States”, as used in this title in a territorial sense, includes all places and waters, continental or insular, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, except the Canal Zone.

As an example, I do know from past research, the 4th AM is applicable in Puerto Rico, as it is a protectorate/possession.

As a non-citizen outside of the United States, the US Constitution is irrelevant and meaningless.

Where he in the United States, say as an illegal alien, many protections would apply but not all.

As the US has and does engage in extrajudicial activities outside of the US, primarily under the Patriot Act, we could snatch him up anywhere in the world, but of course won't do so because he has too high of a profile.

We have lots of friendly nations running CIA prisons we could find space in for him.

1. Sponsored Links