Default Shoplifting at Filene's Basement in Massachusetts

i was caught shoplifting in Filene's for $85. i am a foreign student on visa.. i was so scared.. they told if i don't want police involvde i should sign everything. i did without reading because i was so scared. i signed. then i got a letter asking for some money. i paid. but now - i am scared that they will still go to the police and i will be deported.

what can i do? do my parents to find out? what chance i will have to go court? will there be a record? can i find out what is the papers i signed? will i be arrested in my class?

- scared and nervous -

Default Re: shoplifting filiene's basement, ma

It all starts with papers you signed. Give them a call requesting a copy of each paper.

Default Re: shoplifting filiene's basement, ma

If you have not yet heard from the police, and paid the civil demand, you probably got lucky. I hope you have learned your lesson, as there can be serious repurcussions for shoplifting even if you aren't in the U.S. on a visa.

Unhappy Re: Shoplifting at Filene's Basement in Massachusetts

today i called a immigration lawyer that my friend told me about. he said if i paid the civil demand it will show up in my background check and i can lose my visa status and that i need to get criminal defense lawyer...

i paid cause i just want the whole thing to go away.. now i fear i have ruined myself.

when i paid the law firm had said civil demand wont effect my visa or anything like that. but then this lawyer i called today said something like if i pay i admit guilt and now i need to get criminal defense lawyer.

i didn't get anything from the police: i still think i am okay. can you comment?

completely regret what happened.

- still nervous -

Default Re: Shoplifting at Filene's Basement in Massachusetts

Payment (or nonpayment) of a civil demand won't show up in a criminal background check. You can pay a civil demand and not be charged with an offense. Payment is not an admission of guilt for any subsequent criminal proceeding. If you doubt this, check with another lawyer.

Hi there,
    I found myself in a similar situation this past month at Filene's basement in Mass. I tried on a 30$ item forgot it was on and was caught outside with it by. I was brought back they took down my name and other info and gave me the standard photocopied civil demand notice paper that I should be expecting a letter in the mail with the amount. No police were involved and I am not a minor. I have never done anything remotely close to stealing and I'm really nervous. I realize this is an old OLD old thread but I'm hoping that the original poster could tell me about their experience, what happened after? How much was the civil demand? Did they press criminal charges? Help, please reply! I would just like to know what I should expect (i realize every situation is different) but any advice etc. would be appreciated!

The original poster has six posts, the most recent of which is just over three years old. She gone!

Hmmmm...
    Reviving an old thread is useless these days.
    Please start a new thread.

1. Sponsored Links