Default Ticket Issued to My Ex-Girlfriend, She Gave My Name, Now Its Way Past Due

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CALIFORNIA
    Hello 2 weeks ago I opened a letter with the following citation. The Van belongs to my Ex-Girlfriend. The Date of the violation the Car was in the shop (it was being painted) and they guy on the picture looks pretty similar to me. I never drove her car and now we are in non-speaking terms.

The ticket is 2 months past due and I just checked the LAcourts website and it appears as active. I am pretty certain she went to the police station and filed and affidavit on 08-30-10.

At this time I cant afford to have any points on my record nor I have the money to pay any fines. I am trying to decide how to deal with this situation. Here are my questions based on the possible options.

1.- If I Ignore it based on the fact that I was not served properly by a police officer, would it get me into more trouble?
    2.- This ticket was issued 102 days after the violation and I dont even know when I received it since I trashed the mail. Does that matter?
    3.- Should I contact the court and fight it? What could be my best strategy?

I appreciate your input. I am attaching a picture of the ticket and you can see the technical details of the camera.

Date the ticket was written ::::: 08-31-10
    Agency which wrote the ticket (e.g., CHP, LAPD, Mono County Sheriff) ::::: Beverly Hills Police Department
    Section(s) of the Vehicle Code you are charged with violating ::::: VC21453A
    Location of the alleged violation ::::: Wilshire Blvd and whittier blvd (EB)
    City or county in which the alleged violation occurred ::::: Beverly Hills CA
    Date you promised to appear (original and extended if you have an extension) :::::No I did not promise to appear I received the ticket by mail. and I just opened last week. The arraignment date was for 10-18-2010

Default Re: Ticket Issued to My Ex-Girlfriend, She Gave My Name, Now Its Way Past Due

Quote Quoting cyberjesus
    View Post
    1.- If I Ignore it based on the fact that I was not served properly by a police officer, would it get me into more trouble?
    There is no requirement that you be served by a police officer. You were mailed a notice to appear, and as far as the court is concerned, you were duly notified. Ignoring it will likely result in the addition of more fines (which probably already happened since you were scheduled to appear in October).

Quote Quoting cyberjesus
    View Post
    2.- This ticket was issued 102 days after the violation and I dont even know when I received it since I trashed the mail. Does that matter?
    While there is a requirement that the registered owner be notified within 15 days from the date of the alleged violation, any subsequent citations issued to another driver (and as long as it is issued within 1 year from the date of the alleged violation) does not fall under that requirement. So no, that does not matter.

Quote Quoting cyberjesus
    View Post
    3.- Should I contact the court and fight it? What could be my best strategy?
    Well, since ignoring it is not an option, your contacting the court is the only other choice you have. If you feel that the picture does not clearly identify you as the driver then fight it... Otherwise, and based on what you've posted, you don't seem to have any other defense...

Default Re: Ticket Issued to My Ex-Girlfriend, She Gave My Name, Now Its Way Past Due

Can you prove where you were on the date of the ticket? Non-speaking terms or not, I would contact your ex & talk to her about her statement she made under oath.

Where PRECISELY were you on the day and time the picture was taken?

Can you PROVE it? (Like "Oh, I was in jail in oregon" would be a great way to get out of it. Or "I was on a business trip to New York"... here are my airline tickets, boarding pass and frequent flyer mile print outs)

1. Sponsored Links