Default Do You Have to Disclose Dismissed Charges to Employers

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Arizona

I was arrested a few years ago for underage drunk driving (Under 21 Driving with Spirituous Liquor, Violation code 4-244.33). When I showed up for the court date, I was advised to plea guilty and given a plea bargain. I had to pay a few hundred dollars in fines, have 1 session with a counselor, and attend two 8 hour defensive driving courses. All of these were completed with no problems, and officially the charges were dismissed (but not expunged).

I have been offered a job and they are going to perform a background check, and on the job application the following question appears:

"Have you ever been convicted of a violation of the law in any court of competent jurisdiction? If yes, explain giving nature of offense, place, and disposition."

Do I have to disclose the dismissed charges? Would it be wise to do so anyways since they are going to see the arrest regardless of the fact that it was dismissed?

Default Re: Do You Have to Disclose Dismissed Charges to Employers

You seem to be describing a deferred sentence in which, after you successfully complete the probationary period, your charge is dismissed with no conviction ever being entered. If that's the case you were not convicted. I am not able to check your court file or disposition, though, so I can't be certain.

1. Sponsored Links