Exclamation 12 Year Old Charged with Lewd Acts with Child

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: California

My 12yr. old son was arrested and charged with lewd acts with a 6yr and 3yr old - oral copulation. Juvenile hall wouldnt take him due to his age, and he spent 3 weeks in the hospital after saying he wanted to kill himself.

He is currently diagnosed with Mood Disorder NOS, ADHD and PANDAS, takes medication daily, sees his therapist weekly and attends a behavioural school. He has never been arrested.

We go to court in January and this is so far from what I have ever dealt with....what should I be prepared for?

Default Re: 12 Year Old Charged with Lewd Acts with Child

You need an attorney. Desperately.

If you state the statute under which your son has been charged, we may be able to give you an idea of sentencing guidelines.

Do you mean what code they wrote? They listed PC2886a and WIC602. Does that answer your question? They did write felony on the citation. Sorry this is so out of my area of knowledge

Sentencing guidelines aren't really helpful in juvenile court, as the court's goal is the rehabilitation of the juvenile - which can potentially mean incarcaration for a term well beyond what an adult might receive for the same offense or, by the same token, a lesser punishment or disposition than an adult could reasonably expect to receive.

Working with a lawyer is a very good idea as is, of course, continuing to work intensively with mental health professionals.

1. Sponsored Links