Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Sexual Harassment

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Ohio

my wife recently began a new job that basically sells memberships..well her boss told her on her first day that she better do well, and the only reason he hired her, was because of the way she looks and that he hopes it will help with male clients.

since then he has also asked her to take off her wedding ring while working with male clients, to make sure she toucehs them a lot to help make sales, and that she should ask them to take her on dates and make them think she is interested in them. he has told her that sex sells, and he wouldnt have hired her if that wasnt true.

She has told him that she doesnt appreciate the comments and its unproffessional, but he keeps saying these things.

any advice on waht she should do? or if anything?? He also sat her down earlier in the week and said he is not happy with her perfomance and she needs to figure it out or she will be fired...strangely this was the day after she confronted him about comments made to her

any help?

thanks

edit-
    if it helps, he owns the company and his wife is the H.R manager...making this a little more complicated on who to go to.

Default Re: Sexual Harassment

Before we start, does the company have at least 15 employees total?

yes it does, wife said there is probably around 25 people employeed currently there.

OK, then, since the employer does not have a viable mechanism for reporting, where the harrasser is the boss (and the boss' wife being the HR person is certainly not viable, IMHO), she can file a complaint with the EEOC or the state Human Rights Commission (or some similar name in your state).

She should make notes of what was said, when it was said, and who said it, including the when she told the boss that such comments made her uncomfortable and to please not do that any more. It will help her case when the complaint is investigated.

(personal aside: he's a creep)

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post

(personal aside: he's a creep)
    he's being honest. Dang, he is probably one of the few people that will actually admit to what many people know but are afraid to admit. Why do you think Hooter's waitresses wear what they do? Hawaiian Tropic girls, Budweiser girls. They are all using sex to sell their product.

It is a fact that everything he is telling her is a proven, and yes, accepted (in many sales fields) sales tactic. I would not want my wife working in such a business and as such, would pretty much insist she quit but in reality, I'm not sure I would consider his actions as sexual harassment.

to make sure she toucehs (sic) them a lot to help make sales, and that she should ask them to take her on dates and make them think she is interested in them.
    Sorry, that's just another way of saying pimping. She is being asked to behave in a sexual manner to do her job "better". Unless she's selling massages or sexual services, this is inappropriate at best and illegal at worst.

I wonder what kind of memberships she sells.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    Sorry, that's just another way of saying pimping. She is being asked to behave in a sexual manner to do her job "better". Unless she's selling massages or sexual services, this is inappropriate at best and illegal at worst.

Dang, if people didn't use sex to sell, all women would wear burqas and men dishdashahs.

as to the touching; depends on what she is touching. Shaking hands, a hand on a shoulder, touching a persons hand as you comment on something; all sales techniques that are taught as a method to control a sales meeting. It is intended to, and does, create a perceived closeness that assists in many types of sales.

bottom line: he is telling her what he believes will work. If she doesn't wish to use those techniques, she needs to find something else that will allow her to meet her sales goals lest she is going to be without a job. I doubt the guy cares what she does to sell memberships as long as she sells.

personally, I believe this is a situation of: if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

I think it's just creepy. Not everyone likes people to invade their personal space, or prefer not to invade others'.

I do have to wonder, as does Betty, what she's selling.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    I think it's just creepy. Not everyone likes people to invade their personal space, or prefer not to invade others'.

I do have to wonder, as does Betty, what she's selling.
    I don't totally disagree with you. In fact, I, personally, do not approve of the situation but I still question whether it rises to a claim of sexual harassment. The boss hasn't actually been sexual with the OP's wife but has merely given direction as to what he believes makes a successful salesperson. I believe it is very close to the line but not sure it has been crossed.

but, that's my layman's input. I will defer to your experience in the matter. If you think it is, then OP should take your input over mine.

but beyond that; I know a lot of guys that would fall prey to such methods. Always thinking with the wrong part of their body.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast