Default Roomate Never Signed Lease, Could Not Pay Rent, Was Asked to Leave

My question involves a roommate in Washington State.

I had a roommate (roommate A) who was added onto my lease several months ago. Since then we have added a third roommate (roommate B), for which a new lease was written up. Roommate B and I signed the lease, but the roommate A never signed it. He DID sign the previous lease, which our building office still has, along with his signed roommate add-on sheet.

Our rent is due on the 1st, but we always pay it on the 5th (the last day it can be paid) because two of us get our paychecks on that day.

Roommate A had informed me on the 17th of the previous month that he intended to move out on the 17th of this month. I was fine with this, and told him that he would still need to pay the full month's rent and I would be happy return any unused rent, pro-rated, when he moved out (He's not the most reliable of sorts and I figured he wouldn't get completely moved out on the 17th). This was a verbal agreement.

On the 1st of this month he informed me that he had no money to pay for rent. I asked him to be completely moved out by midnight on the 4th. Again, verbal agreement only. He did so without dispute and was gone the evening of the 4th.

My questions are as follows:

Did I illegally kick him out?
    Can I legally require him to pay for his first 4 days of this month's rent?
    Can I legally take him to small claims for either his share of this month's rent up to the 17th, or a early lease breakage penalty?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Default Re: Roomate Never Signed Lease, Could Not Pay Rent, Was Asked to Leave

Did I illegally kick him out?
    Yep. Since he wasn't on the lease, he was a month to month tenant, and you needed to give him WRITTEN notice to pay up or get out.

Can I legally require him to pay for his first 4 days of this month's rent?
    Nope. You've evicted him.

Can I legally take him to small claims for either his share of this month's rent up to the 17th, or a early lease breakage penalty?
    Nope. You've already evicted him.

Default Re: Roomate Never Signed Lease, Could Not Pay Rent, Was Asked to Leave

Thanks for the quick response. In terms of him not being on the lease, the original lease still has him on it, I thought that would be enough. And I can't follow up on rent fees even after he's removed? Sadface...

1. Sponsored Links