Exclamation Hearing Denied for Unemployment - How to Appeal

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: North Carolina

I was w/a bank for 20 years!!! I looked at another employees account to see if I could borrow some money. The judged denied me because of that. I did not move any money or make any fraudulent transactions.

I feel since my record was clean at work I should have gotten a warning not fired.

If I was not going to get the full benefits they could have punished me by not letting me have all the weeks.

Any suggestions on how to appeal?

Default Re: Hearing Denied for Unemployment.i Want to Appeal

You used your position for possible personal financial gain, although I can't for the life of me figure out how someone else's account balance would have anything to do with YOU being able to get a loan, unless you're talking about a personal loan from a friend "(Hi, Mary, can you lend me $5K? I know you can afford it because I looked at your bank account."). It doesn't matter than you may not have actually benefitted; according to your own statement, it was your INTENT to benefit from this action. If you'd been in banking for 20 years, you should have known better. In fact, I'll bet you signed something to this effect when you started at this job.

You may have felt you should have gotten a warning, but obviously the employer didn't. This was apparently a serious enough infraction in their eyes to warrant immediate termination, and I can't say I blame them.

There is no "punishment" here relating to number of weeks for which claimants are eligible; the law does not provide for what you think should have happened. The quality of the termination is either such that benefits are granted or benefits are denied. Period.

Perhaps this sounds harsher than it might, but I do not see any legitimate reason that would be enough to overturn the denial. You screwed up and got fired and are now reaping the consequences.

The appeal procedures should be available on the website of whatever agency administers unemployment in NC.

You will find that many states make discharge due to conduct, i.e. breaking the rules, a bar to receiving benefits.

You should have just asked them instead of violating their privacy, and possibly breaking laws, by peeking at their confidential banking information. I can see a warning if your drawer is short $10 without any other issues in 20 years. Violating confidentiality rules, and again possibly laws, is waaaaaaay out in the naughty zone.

Just because you think you shouldn't have been fired doesn't mean the employer, or the UI office, is required to agree with you. Nor does the fact that you didn't make any fraudulent transaction mean that they're required to go easy on you.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    You used your position for possible personal financial gain, although I can't for the life of me figure out how someone else's account balance would have anything to do with YOU being able to get a loan, unless you're talking about a personal loan from a friend "(Hi, Mary, can you lend me $5K? I know you can afford it because I looked at your bank account."). It doesn't matter than you may not have actually benefitted; according to your own statement, it was your INTENT to benefit from this action. If you'd been in banking for 20 years, you should have known better. In fact, I'll bet you signed something to this effect when you started at this job.

You may have felt you should have gotten a warning, but obviously the employer didn't. This was apparently a serious enough infraction in their eyes to warrant immediate termination, and I can't say I blame them.

There is no "punishment" here relating to number of weeks for which claimants are eligible; the law does not provide for what you think should have happened. The quality of the termination is either such that benefits are granted or benefits are denied. Period.

Perhaps this sounds harsher than it might, but I do not see any legitimate reason that would be enough to overturn the denial. You screwed up and got fired and are now reaping the consequences.
    Yes, sad to say.....I am reaping the consequences!!! I guess I was shocked that I was fired. I never been called in the office for anything. I hoped with years of service maybe that would be taking into consideration, since I did not steal anything. I've known people to refund NSF fees to employees accounts and they were able to get their unemployment. I just don't understand.

Twenty years of good service completely ignored. One single transgression, with absolutely no stealing, and BAM the guy is fired. Meanwhile CEO's reduce wages, work employees like slaves, lie, steal, cheat and are utterly unethical if not criminal in their conduct, yet are not held to account. Whatever happened to the concept of mercy or a second chance?

1. Sponsored Links