Default Accident Between Two Cars Parking at the Same Time

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: California, there was no injury so if Im posting this in the wrong forum Im sorry. A friend of mine was driving home last night and another friend was following. She has to park on the street at her house in front of a boat. When she got home she pulled up to the curb and then started to back up to get closer to the boat, as she started to back up the other friend pulled in between her and the boat and next thing you know my friend backed into the other persons car. My question is, who would be at fault in this case?

Thank you!

Default Re: Auto Accident, Who's at Fault

Quote Quoting poprocksncoke
    View Post
    My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: California, there was no injury so if Im posting this in the wrong forum Im sorry. A friend of mine was driving home last night and another friend was following. She has to park on the street at her house in front of a boat. When she got home she pulled up to the curb and then started to back up to get closer to the boat, as she started to back up the other friend pulled in between her and the boat and next thing you know my friend backed into the other persons car. My question is, who would be at fault in this case?

Thank you!
    Was your other friend's vehicle still moving at the time they collided? If so, then they both share fault. If your other friend was already stopped/parked, then the friend who was backing up will carry most (if not all) the fault.

they were both moving at the time, the one pulling in behind the one backing up realized that the other was backing up and threw her car into reverse but by that time it was too late.

It will likely be seen as the backing vehicle's fault. However, as we are talking about insurance companies and not a police report, fault can be apportioned between them. They may well share fault 50/50.

Both parties need to report this to their insurance companies and let them hash it out.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links