Default Hitting a Parked Vehicle

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of:Michigan

The accident happened about 6am. I did not hear the collision because I was dead sleep. I had my father's car parked parked in front of my home on an Avenue. Someone drove into the back corner of my father's vehicle. Both vehicles were not drivable. I did not notice my father's vehicle was missing until 3pm. At first I thought it was stolen. Later I found out it was towed away with another vehicle. My father only has "No fault". I do not know what type of insurance the other driver had yet. If the driver does not have "Collision Insurance" can I take him to small claims court because I am the reliable over my father's vehicle?

Default Re: Hitting a Parked Vehicle

the other drivers liability insurance will pay for damage the driver caused to a parked vehicle. Collision insurance is what you would carry on your own vehicle to cover damages in an accident which your car was being driven to repair your own car. In that type of accident, each party is responsible for their own vehicles.

and no, your father would have to sue if the other driver does not have any insurance. It is his car.

Quote Quoting jimbetty123
    View Post
    hi..i had a mishappening with me that last sunday my car was parked outside my home...one of a cab driver hitted my car from behind
    he was drunk,after hitting my car he ran away from the site laeving hi cab...i contacted to his owner of the car and ask for the damages but he is not paying..now i want to sue him...is it right to do or i should do something else against him???
    First make sure you get a police report. If the cab company has insurance, the owner should take care of it doing the right procedure. If he does not try suing the driver direct with small claims court. If you do not know who the driver is, sue the cab company in small claims court.

Lucky that it was not a hit and run....

I bet it would have been a hit and run if he was not shook up from the drugs he was taking.

Although Michigan is a no fault state and normally you're responsible for your own vehicle damage (above mini-tort), as the car was parked, if the other driver is identified and was insured your father can make a claim under the other driver's personal property insurance coverage, and should be compensated for repairs and possibly also for a rental through the other party's insurance. It''s not your car and not your insurance, so you can't either make a claim or sue anybody.

The guy has no insurance at all. The Detroit police officer did not give the guy a ticket even though he had no insurance. He did not even get a ticket to the guy for hitting my father's vehicle. My father and I had to go to the police department to raise hell so they would send him a ticket. He only got a ticket for no insurance.

Today was the day we were suppose to appear in small claims court. My father is suing for the damage of his vehicle. I am suing for the damages of the work I missed and paying others for transportation. But the small claims court for today was dismissed because the defendant was not severed the papers from the court officer. The post officer carrier has to make sure he still lives there.

you will likely get a judgment ... but then he wont pay

1. Sponsored Links