Default Colorado Landlord Entry Requirements

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Colorado

Hello, I'm sure t his a is a common question, I got alot of related things in my search but thinging quite what i was hoping for.

Today I got an notice on my door from my land lord stating that they will be touring all of the apartmetns to verify that there is a carbon carbon-monoxide dector installed. "Starting next week Monday the 22nd untill the end of the month, or untill finished we will be walking the apartments to see if there has been a carbon-monoxide detector installed...."

latter in the letter it states "This is an saftey issue and we do need access to your apartment. This is more than the required 24 hour notice in your lease"

My question is can the enter the apartment and look for other things? IF they find the installed CO detector do they then have to leave?
    Is it Legal to give such a broad window for them to enter? they say that it is impossible to schedule appointments, due to the nature of how big the complex is, but i find this hard to believe, how long does it take to enter an apartment and then look at and install a carbon mono-oxide detector .

Any how any thoughts on the matter, if you can sight the law code please.

Thanks so much

Default Re: Colorado Landlord Entry Requirements

Quote Quoting chad2625
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Colorado

Hello, I'm sure t his a is a common question, I got alot of related things in my search but thinging quite what i was hoping for.

Today I got an notice on my door from my land lord stating that they will be touring all of the apartmetns to verify that there is a carbon carbon-monoxide dector installed. "Starting next week Monday the 22nd untill the end of the month, or untill finished we will be walking the apartments to see if there has been a carbon-monoxide detector installed...."

latter in the letter it states "This is an saftey issue and we do need access to your apartment. This is more than the required 24 hour notice in your lease"

My question is can the enter the apartment and look for other things? IF they find the installed CO detector do they then have to leave?
    Is it Legal to give such a broad window for them to enter? they say that it is impossible to schedule appointments, due to the nature of how big the complex is, but i find this hard to believe, how long does it take to enter an apartment and then look at and install a carbon mono-oxide detector .

Any how any thoughts on the matter, if you can sight the law code please.

Thanks so much
    In the first apartment I lived in, I had a similar situation, and I went to see an attorney. His opinion was basically the landlord is to give me "AT LEAST 24 hours notice", and I got one, even though the time window was over a month. He said the landlord is not required to give me an exact appointment by date and time either, nor was it specified that I have to be there.

As to citing the law, my attorney says it is all in the lease, and in NY where I am there is no state law specifying a time window, so if the landlord gives me at least 24 hours notice, it is sufficient.

I own small 3 family houses, not large apartment complexes and even I had trouble scheduling workers to come on exactly 10:00AM for example when tenants are scheduled to be home waiting for them. Of course, when they showed up at 11:30AM, my tenant already went off to work.

To accomodate my tenants, I schedule exact appointments, and I always hear "how hard could it be for the plumber to show up at 10:00AM. I got an earful from my plumber when he arrived late for a 10:00AM appointment at 11:30, and he angrily told me that he had an 8:00AM appointment to fix a faucet and the job took an hour longer than planned.

So couldn't he come at 8:00AM instead?? My answer was "sorry, my tenant said he doesn't get up that early". My plumber tells me that he's not about to twiddle his thumbs 8:00AM in the morning so my tenant can get a good night sleep, and have him show up at exactly the right time, unless I pay him to twiddle his thumbs for two hours.

Yep, I got the answer to "how hard can it be to show up at 10:00AM".

1. Sponsored Links