Default My Ex May Have Claimed My Children on Their Tax Return

Ohio Dad here. I got a letter in the mail from the IRS stating that someone else has used my children's SS# as an exemption. Not sure what to do from here?

Here's the catch, My ex-wife may be the one who claimed them - (not sure). The children live with her (she is the custodial parent) ... however our separation papers state that I get to claim the minor children for tax purposes, BUT she has always refused to sign the necessary IRS paperwork (from 8332) granting me exemption rights. (ive efiled for 7 years without that paper) .

Im just looking for some insight... Whats going happen next??

Default Re: My X May Have Claimed My Children on Their Tax Return

easy if you are in the right you make a copy of your divorice decgree and mail it back to the IRS with the part about tax HIGHLIGHTED along send a letter stating that you are in the right to file your child and whoever also did is not in the right! that is it! the IRS will review your paperwork and then mail the other person a letter and make them pay it back!!

My ex did this last year also and this is all I had to do- per the judge I went to the court for help and this is what they told me to do, but you need to do it right away

thanks mom85, this takes a load off my mind. why do i have to act quick though?

because if you dont and they don't know is at fault they will start sending a bill to be paid back

Quote Quoting mom85
    View Post
    because if you dont and they don't know is at fault they will start sending a bill to be paid back
    Thanks, I took care of my end. Sent in all court docs (highlighted) pertaining to my right to claim exemptions. Also sent in more recent papers that state she is to fill out the form 8332 form me or be in contempt. Every time I ask for it, she refused. IDK. What do you think will happen to her as far as fines?

1. Sponsored Links