between here and there, but you can't here from there

Default Lawyer paid, no work done, avoided

I am in Washington state and had to hire an attorney to handle a couple things in Ga.
    I shopped around, got references and asked the questions.

One was always right there to answer and had done this kind of thing many times. Everytime I called, he was available.

Then I paid him.

Now, I find that I cannot reach him at all. He is sharing his office with other lawyers and they share a receptionist. The lawyers in question has an assistant.

The job was to take a sigle paper to a judge for a signature. Thats it. I hired the guy four weeks ago today and he promised to have it done by the following Tuesday at the latest.

I have been unable to contact him and the assistant lies to me. " He is trying to call you right now", "he is waiting for your call on his cell phone", "I will find out and call you right back", etc.........line after line, lie after lie.

He is never in his office. Yesterday, I called and he was "outside talking with another attorney" I told her put me on hold. 20 minutes go by and the assistant comes on the line " he is still in conference with a client" . I say what she told me earlier about being outside and she says that he was outside but was is now inside. I say " I'll wait". I waited over an hour. Then the assitant comes back on, laughing "you still holding?" I say "yes" she says he is gone for the day and left almost an hour ago.

So, what to do? How do I get my money back? Should I fly back to GA and sit in his office? I paid by credit card to make this go fast, the card is Canadian, so I also have to pay a percentage for international rate exchange, and of course the actual rates themselves, plus the interest.

I am not happy. I totaled how many times I called and left messages, how many times I called and got stonewalled, and the guy only called me 3 times before I paid him. After that, no call backs from either he, or the lying assisant.

My recourse is?????????

Default Re: Lawyer paid, no work done, avoided

Flying back, sitting in his office, etc., is probably not going to help. I see it as you having 2 options.

One, you could hire an attorney on your behalf to contact him--sometimes these types of lawyers will return calls to another lawyer. Of course, spending more money is probably not something you want to do.

Two, you could contact the Georgia bar and file an ethical complaint against the attorney (1-800-334-6865). Evidently, he is not keeping you as a client properly informed about the status of your case and who knows what happened to the money. Lots of times the attorney disciplinary committee can get a lawyer's attention when all else fails.

You could send him a certified letter first demanding a response and answers to your questions within a certain number of days before taking any further action. That works sometimes, too.

I was wondering about the second attorney thing, too. Should not cost much t have one call the first and then tell him person to person to call me for a status check.

But, then, I also thought: what about havig someom=ne else call, pretending to be a potental client and when he calls them , they can say to call me.

At what point doe it become harrassment?

Is he trying to get me to fire him and therefore he is not required to give me back my money?

Anyone here want to make a call???

I was wondering about the second attorney thing, too. Should not cost much t have one call the first and then tell him person to person to call me for a status check.

But, then, I also thought: what about havig someom=ne else call, pretending to be a potental client and when he calls them , they can say to call me.

At what point doe it become harrassment?

Is he trying to get me to fire him and therefore he is not required to give me back my money?

Anyone here want to make a call???

I don't think it is harassment--as his client, you do have legitimate reason for contacting him to find out about the status of your case. You might be able to have someone else contact him and reach him that way, but that still may not result in any action on your case.

My best guess is he hasn't performed the work at this time and is putting you off. Unless you really use a mechanism to get his attention, your case may very well languish with no action ever being taken regarding it--and you may very well forever lose your right to pursue your cause of action.

My wife disputed the credit card payment and even they got the run around, not being able to find out anything so they went ahead with the chargeback and recouped the money.
    The following day, guess who calls....... says he is still working on it and would we release the money to him. I told him that if he can show me something has been done, fine, but until then, no.
    Then, yesterday morning he calls again saying he wants to have a phone conference at 3pm. He never shows and I still have has yet to hear from this idiot.

I also called the GA bar to report this guy and I have not heard from them, yet either. I never spoke to anyone, all I could do was leave a message.

Update:

I spoke to the judge's assistant and she informed me that this useless attorney NEVER spoke to the judge about this matter, never filed a motion, or appeal. In fact she has not seen this attorney in chambers in months.
    But, did say that she mentioned this to the judge and he tried to find a way to do the job for me, no attorney required. But needs some reference material. Anyone have any clues how to do this?

What exactly is it that you are trying to do?

See thread titled "Have you heard of this" in "Pardons and Expungements".

Reversal of Convictions in Georgia - let's continue the discussion over there.

1. Sponsored Links