Default Parenting a Troubled Teen - Should I Let the Authorities Take Over

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Tennessee

My 17 year old daughter is repeatedly sneaking out, running away,and has no respect for no one. She has a juvenile record beginning from age 14. She has run off again and my main concern is that if i call the law to get her picked up i will have to go to court and will be responsible for court costs and fines that i just cant pay. This last episode she treatened to kill my husband and myself and we called the cops and they came in and talked to her and that was it and then she was gone a couple of hours later. I really dont want her in our house anymore because i dont trust her. I want her to be picked up and put in juvenile because she is so out of control thats the best place for her and my questions are if i do have her picked up do i have to go to court with her and be responsible for her court costs and fines? She will be 18 in 4 months if that makes any difference and also can i get in trouble with children services if i just let her move out or kick her out?

Default Re: Should I Let Authorties Take Over

She will be 18 in 4 months if that makes any difference
    Until she actually turns 18, you are legally and financially responsible for her.

also can i get in trouble with children services if i just let her move out or kick her out?
    See above. Until she turns 18, you may not put her out, and if you let her live elsewhere, any hell-raising she gets up to is on your shoulders.

I would suggest seeing about having her declared incorrigible, but 1) by the time you could get a hearing, she'd be 18 anyway, and 2) such statutes usually only apply to those under 17 anyway. Have you checked with your local community mental health services to see about counseling for her?

You can legally put her out at the age of 18. This should be your last resort, though.

Default Re: Parenting a Troubled Teen - Should I Let the Authorities Take Over

Quote Quoting erica9374
    View Post
    My 17 year old daughter is repeatedly sneaking out, running away,and has no respect for no one. She has a juvenile record beginning from age 14. She has run off again and my main concern is that if i call the law to get her picked up i will have to go to court and will be responsible for court costs and fines that i just cant pay. This last episode she treatened to kill my husband and myself and we called the cops and they came in and talked to her and that was it and then she was gone a couple of hours later. I really dont want her in our house anymore because i dont trust her. I want her to be picked up and put in juvenile because she is so out of control thats the best place for her and my questions are if i do have her picked up do i have to go to court with her and be responsible for her court costs and fines? She will be 18 in 4 months if that makes any difference and also can i get in trouble with children services if i just let her move out or kick her out?
    Honestly, she's still under your protection. You are legally and financially responsible for her until the time she turns at the age of 18. I suggest you try seek teenage help from therapeutic programs specializing in helping youth and troubled teens. In this way, it will lessen your worries about your child's behavior.

1. Sponsored Links