Default What Are the Procedures for My Child to Become Emancipated

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: TX
    As I read the posts and read the laws concerning emancipation for my 17 yr old daughter.
    Minor background. No home issues, is in school, has held same job for over 9 months now, has and pays for own insurance. She feels like she is ready and responsible to live on her own, even though she is a JR in HS. I personally thing she is making a huge mistake, but want to be able to give her the opportunity to decide that for herself. I can fight her and demand she stay here, and hope she doesn't throw her life away by rebelling to get back at me, or I can let her do this and let her learn for herself...while our relationship is stable and I can still help her if needed.
    Here is the crux of my inquiry:
    In the state of TX, a minor can not get their own car insurance policy without being emancipated - known, I have tried to get her a quote. She can not be insured on our policy without living in our home. She can not get emancipated without living on her own.
    Am I correct in these findings?? have to have facts verified before I hand over info.
    Thank you,

Default Re: Confirmation of Procedures for My Child to Become Emancipated Tx

You are correct... but, as parent, you also have the authority to allow her to live where ever you wish.

YOU could sign for a lease and car insurance that she would then have to pay you back for. This could be a "baby step" into adulthood.

It ain't all beer and pretzels out there... shouldn't take her long to figure that out.

I completely agree! She is responsible...and in the end, I actually think she can do this. BUT I also know how hard it is and can see sooo many problems that can/will arise.
    I know I can sign for her, and let her live wherever. I am not trying to be suborn...and I HATE the whole idea...but if she is going to be "out there, on her own, as a grownup" I do not want to be legally responsible for her actions. She wants this so bad, she gets ALL the aspects of it. Do the crime, do the time theory. I don't want to pay for her "life lessons" if she isn't here for any for-warning, ya know?
    I thought about giving her a 3 month "trial" period...but that isn't reality. At least until she is 18 and/or out of HS I WILL be there for her, but not a revolving door.

Thank you for confirmation...
    We raise them to deal and handle the world...but they never know what it is really like until they are out there. and of course, I know nothing...hehehehe

thanks again

NEW QUESTION:
    Is there a required amount of time the child needs to be living on their own to file for emancipation? Say after 1 month or 6 months?

You are missing one piece of the puzzle.

She doesn't NEED to be emancipated. She has a roof over her head and food in her belly. Judges are VERY stingy on emancipation and save it for the very rich and the very poor... kids that need to be emancipated to survive.

She doesn't need it. It won't happen.

I see. Thank you for the information.

1. Sponsored Links