Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Problems With Botched Installation by Home Depot Contractor

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: Florida

I purchased 2 sliding doors from Home Depot at a cost of $3500 which included install.

The contractor came to the house measured everything and the doors were ordered.

30 days later the door arrivied and the installer came out to install.

When he had 1 door inplace, I noticed that the bottom track did not fit in as it should. The door track was 3 inches higher than the floor.
    For the doors to fit properly, the concrete that the doors have to sit on has to be dug out. The contractor advised me that he does not do that type of work and if it was done then the top of the doors would have to be brought down as well, which the contractor does not do as well.

I went to Home Depot and advised the sales staff. They called the contractor and the install was stopped.
    The contractor had already discarded my origional door so he had to leave the door with the bad track in place and unfinished. The placed duct tape around the door to keep the cold air from blowing in. (mind you it has been the coldest Dec on record in FL).
    He had also started some work on the other door which at this time looks really bad, but the origional door is in place and working.

Home Depot said they would try and find something that would work on my doors.
    2 days later after not hearing anything from Home Depor I called and went into the store. I spent 3 hours with the sales person trying to find a door that would meet the measurements. (According to the staff my door entryway is not standard)

Finally the sales staff and myself found something that would work. The doors worked out to $70 more than what I had really wanted. The new doors are not really what I want but it is all that could be found.

Home Depot was going to put together another sales receipt but couldnt at the time because they could not remove the doors that did not fit from the bill until they were back in the store. The account manager said it would take a day and she would call.

It was Christmas so I gave them 4 days, but no call, so I called back. The Account manager said that the installer wanted $500 more for the install since it was a different type of door and Home Depot thinks I should pay that.

I told them at this time I have not agreed to the install because we cannot agree on a price. That the botched job was not my fault. Home Depot had the responsibililty to make sure the correct product was delivered as I am not the expert in the field, and that I what I was paying them for.

The account manager said she had to talk to her manager and would get back to me.

That is how it is left at this time.

I have already paid for the doors with a Home Dpot Credit card I got at the time of purchase.

My doors look like C#$p. There is now way they can reinstall the origional doors as the contractor discarded the first. I have duct tape falling off the walls which was supposed to be my primary insulation around the doors.

It will take another 30 days to get any new door to my house, which will make it 2 1/2 months since I first went into the store to order them.

I am not going to pay another $500 or more for the install, and if that is what they want then I want my doors back the way they were.

Can anyone give me advise, or tell me what Home Depot is required to do.

thanks soo much

Default Re: Problems With Botched Installation by Home Depot Contractor

Who measured the door openings and selected the original, undersized doors - you or the contractor? Did you pay to have your measurements verified before installation began, or did the contractor simply arrive at the job with the instruction to remove and discard the old doors and to install the new doors?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Who measured the door openings and selected the original, undersized doors - you or the contractor? Did you pay to have your measurements verified before installation began, or did the contractor simply arrive at the job with the instruction to remove and discard the old doors and to install the new doors?
    I had to pay the installer a fee to come out measure and get the permits. All the measurements were taken by home Depot and the installer
    I dont know if the installer was told to discard the old doors, but he did.
    I selected the doors with the help of the sales staff who stated the doors would fit properly according to the measurements

I just talked to Home Depot and I am told that they want another $1135 for the install.
    The manager of the store told me he dosent expect me to 'absorb" all of the cost but I should have to pay some.
    Thats BS to me.
    I contracted for doors was told that it could be done at one rate, the store did the measurements and quotes, now that its messed up they expect me to cover the cost.
    Am I wrong?

Go to another place, order a door, have it installed. Return the Home Depot door to the store. Leave it there if they refuse to issue a credit - walk out. Then write your credit card company asking for them to remove any charges related to the transaction. Have you paid for this already? Then call your cc company to see what relief they can offer. Door and windows -- fun fun fun - I know

thanks guys

sure but everybody is a voluntary contributor.

Bottom line: if the measurements were taken by the contractor and the door that was initially attempted to be installed is not what it was represented it to be in the store, you can rescind the contract. The problem comes in having the old door reinstalled. Since it was disposed of, sounds like it's the store or contractors problem.

If it was me, since you and the manager cannot agree on terms, I would tell the manager to either install the door you purchased in the proper manner at the price you were quoted or return your home to it's previous condition. As to the missing door; sounds like it's his problem.

If he doesn't agree, you might be forced to have the work done by another contractor and sue for the repair costs.

If you're in such a hurry that you can't bear to be polite, the phone book is full of lawyers you can retain.

Home Depot doesn't directly employ its installers; it uses independent contractors. You can check your contract to see what provisions it includes in the event of an error by a contractor or for additional charges that might result from conditions discovered during installation. However, given that the contractor measured the space, they and Home Depot designated a product that would supposedly work in the opening, and it should have been quite obvious that the door was being installed over a slab, so I would be surprised if this can be shrugged off by Home Depot based upon the contract.

My last house had non-standard door openings. They probably were standard when the door was installed, but times change. I had to have both doors and replacement frames custom made, which as it turns out was not particularly expensive over a stock door because it's actually quite a common issue. I am surprised that Home Depot cannot order a customized door - or is that the cause of the thirty-day delay?

If I were in your situation, I would try to cancel with Home Depot and get the door and labor elsewhere. That's problematic given that you cannot return the door you're presently (sort of) using. Assuming nothing in the contract lets Home Depot off the hook, contract damages are ordinarily the lesser of diminution of value, the cost of repair, or the cost of cover (the difference between what it costs to have somebody else do the job to original specs and the original contract price). I don't see diminution of value as applicable, as the doors cannot be left as-is, and I don't see that repair is possible given that the doors don't fit the opening.

It would be nice if Home Depot could restore you to your original condition with an associated mutual release from the contract ("rescission"), but it doesn't sound like it is feasible given that one of your original doors appears to be 'lost and gone forever'.

Thank you both for answering.
    I know it seems impatient.
    I have an appt with a local attorney in the morning and needed to know what information I needed prior to my first visit. I am sorry if I seem rude, I guess Im just concerned.

Its impossible for HD to bring the doors back to as they were since the door is gone.
    They want to charge me up to another 1100 for another install and different doors.
    The new doors are only $70 more than what I paid at first, but the quality is not what I want.
    the added fees are from the installer as the job is going to be harder than he thought.

I think Im going to have to have an attorney for this. Its beyond me just going to small claims court
    Again thank you all
    This is a great forum

Quote Quoting stuartflorida
    View Post
    Thank you both for answering.
    I know it seems impatient.
    I have an appt with a local attorney in the morning and needed to know what information I needed prior to my first visit. I am sorry if I seem rude, I guess Im just concerned.

Its impossible for HD to bring the doors back to as they were since the door is gone.
    They want to charge me up to another 1100 for another install and different doors.
    The new doors are only $70 more than what I paid at first, but the quality is not what I want.
    the added fees are from the installer as the job is going to be harder than he thought.

I think Im going to have to have an attorney for this. Its beyond me just going to small claims court
    Again thank you all
    This is a great forum
    I would talk to your credit card company too to see if they can offer you some relief -- remember, attnys get paid for going to court - he will say your cc company cannot help you but he is likely wrong.

Yes, see an attorney.

The installer is an agent of Home Depot. HD is responsible. If HD and/or the installer took the measurements and the doors that HD provided do not fit, they are completely and entirely responsible. You do not owe a cent.

Obviously someone screwed up and they are trying to get you to cover the cost of that so they don't look so bad to their supervisors and corporate.

You did not do anything wrong, you are not responsible for their actions, miscalculations, or the fact that they might loose money on the deal or not make any money on it. That is a cost of them doing business and not knowing what they are doing.

I would not give them a cent and demand they replace the doors that they removed and destroyed before they had successfully installed the new doors. They removed and lost your property. Unless you signed a release or something that allowed them to dispose of your doors, then they are responsible for that too.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast