Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010

    Default Non-Custodial Parent Moved Out of State

    My question involves a child custody case from the State of Maryland

    My situation is a bit complex so I will try to be as clear as possible. My son will be three in January just so you have an idea of the age and developmental place he is at.

    My son's father fought tooth and nail for the custody agreement we currently have. Which entitles him to vistitation every Tuesday from 3pm to 6pm and every other weekend. Everything was going as well as could be expected for about a year. He decided in September to move to Florida. He hasn't seen my son since and has stopped paying child support. I know how to handle the child support issue. I was just wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation and knows if when he comes up to Maryland to visit if he is entitled to his regular visitation or if he has abandoned his rights that we established in the parenting agreement.

    My other concern is that we our deep in debt with his peditrician. My son's father is responsible for his insurance and anything that is above and beyond we are supposed to split 50-50. I have forwarded everything to my son's father every time I get a bill and he has known for months and months that we owe the doctor money. I hate taking my son in because I'm afraid they think I have something to do with it. My son's father has told me in writing that he would cover the copays. When he wasn't doing that, I asked him how much they were so I could just pay them because they varried with his insurance. He never told me so it is just going further and further into debt. Our son also had to get a round of rabies shots for which I am starting to get the hospital bills for. I am just wondering if anyone knows of a way to handle this without going through a lawyer.

    Also, he doesn't call to check on our son. I am in regular contact with my son's grandparents and aunt as well as part of his extended family on that side. The only time my ex calls is if he thinks I have done something that goes against our parenting agreement. (Nevermind that he isn't following a word of it) I just want to know when he has abandoned his son.

    Thanks so much for your time.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Somewhere near Canada

    Default Re: Non-Custodial Parent Moved Out of State

    As long as there is a court ordered parenting plan in place, you must make your child available should Dad wish to exercise his visitation rights.

    You can file to modify the current plan, maybe considering longer periods but less frequently (given that every Tuesday and EOW likely isn't going to work with Dad living so far away). Also consider webcam and phone/Skype visits.

    The other matter? Well, this is one where you might have to pay your son's medical bills and then go after Dad afterwards for reimbursement. Otherwise you might find healthcare providers turning you away if there are outstanding bills.

    Legally he has not abandoned your son.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

    Do not microwave grapes

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Non-Custodial Parent Moved Out of State, Have Not Received Payments
    By Englert29 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 06:52 AM
  2. Non-Custodial Parent Moved
    By tiredofdrama in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-08-2010, 09:28 AM
  3. Custodial Parent Moved
    By EliseJ in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 09:53 PM
  4. Non-Custodial Parent Moved
    By sbilbo in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2009, 07:23 AM
  5. Custodial Parent Moved to Another State
    By CameronsMommy in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 05:15 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Custody Lawyer
Get help for your custody case. Consult a divorce lawyer for free.