Default Register a Vehicle in Different State from Title and Drivers License

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: TN and CO

I am a Tennessee resident, and hold a valid drivers license, clear tn title of the vehicle in my name, insurance and current tn registration.

I'm back and forth between TN and Colorado, and as the car in question is about to need a renewal of registration and is currently in Colorado, where I am thinking it's going to stay at least for another 6 months, then unsure about the future. But, I have family in CO and am considering just leaving the car with them for ease of travel. I want it to stay in my name.

So, my main question is: is it possible to register it in Colorado even though I am a TN resident with title and license at my main home? It literally expires in about a week (totally forgot) and since I travel so much and have barely been home, I didn't get a renewal form or anything, and really am hoping I can just take care of it and leave it in CO. I mean, it's driven basically only when I'm there.

I'd really appreciate any help, since I hate trying to get answers from the DMV peeps and spending hours on the phone.

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Register a Vehicle in Different State from Title and Drivers License

Quote Quoting stellakling
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: TN and CO

I am a Tennessee resident, and hold a valid drivers license, clear tn title of the vehicle in my name, insurance and current tn registration.

I'm back and forth between TN and Colorado, and as the car in question is about to need a renewal of registration and is currently in Colorado, where I am thinking it's going to stay at least for another 6 months, then unsure about the future. But, I have family in CO and am considering just leaving the car with them for ease of travel. I want it to stay in my name.

So, my main question is: is it possible to register it in Colorado even though I am a TN resident with title and license at my main home? It literally expires in about a week (totally forgot) and since I travel so much and have barely been home, I didn't get a renewal form or anything, and really am hoping I can just take care of it and leave it in CO. I mean, it's driven basically only when I'm there.

I'd really appreciate any help, since I hate trying to get answers from the DMV peeps and spending hours on the phone.

Thanks!!!
    It sounds to me like you can register you TN titled vehicle in CO but you'd have to complete and submit a VIN verification form as well as pass the Colorado Emissions test (amongst other requirements such as current proof of insurance).

Here is the page where you can look up the Registration Requirements from the Colorado Dept of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles website.

You can also research the related CO statutes here.

As for you driver's license, it seems to be a separate matter and you can look up those requirements HERE.

1. Sponsored Links