Default Harassment Via Electronic Means

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois and Indiana. While in Illinois for grandparents day (I live in Indiana), my parents, sister, my husband, son and I went to lunch. Upon returning to their home after lunch, my sister stromed out of the house (she was upset that I was not talking to her) and my parents became angry. My father began yelling and physically forced me from the house, while I was holding my son. My husband was outside smoking, when my father realized this he left me alone. We left.
    On out way back to Indiana (our home) my sister texted me telling me I forgot my sons bottles. I responded telling her that if her father would not have gotten crazy I would have taken them...then it started. Her and I both began sending stupid text messages threatening to beat this one up or kill that one. The text messages were being sent from both of us.
    Now, 6 weeks later I get pulled into court for Harrassment via electronic means.
    Can I do anything in return? I have to pay to defend myself and she does not even have to go to court? She did the exact same thin I did! Can I file the same charges against her? If so, Can I file them in Indiana where I live?
    What is my best defense strategy for these charges?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Harrassment Via Electronic Means

Can I do anything in return?
    You can hire an attorney and show up for court. If you're suitably well mannered, your attorney may be able to negotiate on your behalf to get the charges reduced or even dropped.

Can I file the same charges against her? If so, Can I file them in Indiana where I live?
    You could try, but with the passage of 6 weeks, it's unlikely the prosecutor would take you seriously. If you were that upset by the text messages, you'd have already gone to the police, right? Right. Save your time and money, you're already about to spend plenty of both.

What is my best defense strategy for these charges?
    Make sure your attorney has access to the entire conversation, and do exactly as your attorney instructs.

1. Sponsored Links