Default Removing Conditions from Green Card While Living in Different States

Hello, I am a citizen married to a temporary greencard holder. We are going on our third yr of marriage and must submit our final paperwork that allows him to stay. Recently I moved one state over to attend a university. After moving I was unable to get the necessary loans to pay for school. I was accepted and all ready to go. So now I can't afford out of state tuition, the only thing I can do is live here to get residency for next fall quarter. My husband is stuck with school and cant move until June.
    I am wondering if this will affect our application and will we get rejected if they see that I'm living 3 hrs and a whole state away. There's no interview which makes it difficult because then we can explain what's going on.
    My husband suggest I don't work the 3-6 months that they are processing the file but the problem is I have to work because we're broke and he can't support me. I must also be able to prove to the university that I'm making a life here in order to get resident tuition in the fall.
    I told my husband I would try not to work but I want to sneak working because I need money.
    At the moment my mom is paying my rent and helping me get by, but its not enough and I feel bad for her.

I'd appreciate any help.

Default Re: Living in Different States

One semester is not generally sufficient to qualify for state residency. Since you are a USC, why would you not be working. Your story does not make sense.

Quote Quoting T53147
    View Post
    One semester is not generally sufficient to qualify for state residency. Since you are a USC, why would you not be working. Your story does not make sense.
    It takes a full year to receive residency status at the university. my husband is scared because we are not living with each other and if I'm working in another state we will be denied. He says we've gotten past all these hurdles, he does not want to jeopardize anything.

My question is if I'm living in another state will we be denied? We must submit the paperwork in Nov or his temporary greencard or whatever allowed him to be and work here the past two yrs is expired. Will we be denied because I'm living in another state?

You will not be denied simlpy for living in another state. The key to the whole process is to show that the marriage is legit. Your living in different states, while would create a lot of questions, has an explanation as you noted. Moving to go to school in another state is not that uncommon. However, the fact that you are not actually attending yet, will again generate questions as you say.

A couple items to note....Since you are not an actual resident of that "new" state, your official residence should still be the original and you husband has not moved.

Also, (someone correct me if I am wrong on this) the Interview for the removal of conditions is optional. If they suspect something, they have the right to call you for an interview.

The key will be the evidence....do you still have joint bank account, leases, tax returns...etc. Also, I assume since you only live 3hrs away, you do see each other on a semi regular basis, like weekends? Make sure you keep good documentation/evidence of those visits to establish that you still have the reltationship inspite of living apart.

Will your husband move to you in June after his schooling is done? What type of plans have you made for that? This can be used to show that you are still together, just temporarily apart.

1. Sponsored Links