Default How to Adopt My 3 Stepchildren

My question involves adoption law for the State of: ALABAMA
    I HAVE BEEN WITH MY WIFE FOR 6 YEARS, BUT WE JUST GOT MARRIED. SHE HAS 3 KIDS WITH ANOTHER MAN WHICH SHE GETS NO SUPPORT WHAT SO EVER FROM. I HAVE ONLY SEEN THE MAN IN 6 YEARS ONCE, AND THAT WAS IN THE FIRST 6 MONTHS. I KNOW WHEN SHE LEFT HIM THERE WAS A RESTRAINING ORDER IN CALIFORNIA PUT ON HIM. SO THE KIDS GO BY MY LAST NAME AT SCHOOL TO BETTER TO PROTECT THEM. SHE DIVORCED HIM WHILE WE WERE LIVING IN TEXAS. SHE DON'T KNOW HIS WHERE ABOUT BUT SHE HAD TO POST IT IN THE LOCAL NEWPAPER OF HIS LAST KNOWN WHERE ABOUTS. THERE WAS NO RESPONCE IN THE AMOUNT OF DAYS TEXAS WAITS FOR, SO THE COURT GRANTED HER FULL EVERYTHING OF THE KIDS. THEIR AGES ARE 14 12, AND 11. THE KIDS DON'T WANT ANYTHING FROM HIM THEY JUST WANT TO HAVE MY LAST NAME LEGALLY. WHAT TO DO?

Default Re: How to Adopt My 3 Stepchildren

Your wife needs to obtain permission from her ex husband to allow you to adopt his children. If he objects, she'd have to prove abandonment in order to allow the adoption to proceed without his permission.

She needs to discuss this with an attorney specializing in family law.

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Default Re: How to Adopt My 3 Stepchildren

I wonder how these children are going to be able to get decent jobs and/or enroll in college when their educational records reflect a fictitious name. Also, since she's allowing the children to "live" by a name that is not theirs, making it extremely difficult for this man to find his children and/or have access to their educational records (which he is entitled to by law)...

what's she's going to look like in court when he accuses her of (1) concealing the children and (2) alienating them from their father.

Just some things to think about

1. Sponsored Links