Default Unemployment Overpayment

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: ct

Hello. In August I received a notice of unemployment overpayment in the amount of 513.00 for 6 months when I was working part time while collecting after I was laid off last year. Mind you I am full time again and have been for almost a year before this was brought to my attention.

I completed the appeal on the back, attached a formal letter, and attached amounts. It was noted that I had to estimate my weekly payments for work as directed by a lady in the unemployment office so I did when I initially reported. Some estimations were 16-20 off weekly and I understood and recognized this after reviewing paystubs. However, they also claimed I knowingly or fraudlently misrepresented my earned funds, which I did not. It was my FIRST time collecting, I had NO idea how much I was reimbursed after my part time pay, and honestly, had no idea what I was doing and reported to the best of my knowledge. Every time I called unemployment I would wait 3-4 hours before I could even get in touch with a person to ask, and half the time I was hung up on seeing that only ONE person worked in the entire office for the state. I mention all of this in the intial appeal.

Weeks later I began to receive statements. I received a letter then stating that I owed 513.00 and that I had a penalty for fraud on collecting. I sent a letter asking to appeal. Frankly, I can understand if I owed money due to wrongly estimating, but I was livid about the fact that I was accussed of fraud. So I appealed.

I went to the appeal today, brought copies of pay stubs, letters, and tried to explain myself. What an agonizing thing the appeal was. She also said I never completed an intial appeal or sent one back! (Which I didnt have copies of I had at home. . .unbelievable that I assumed they had it, and I sent priority mail to the dept of labor before the due date). I am not sure if I should mail them a copy since they seemed to have lost this in their paper trail.

I was upset, nervous, and am not sure if I represented myself well but I attempted to make it known that I estimated honestly, had no clue what the entire process itself was about, and did not feel supported nor guided in my attempts to reach out to unemployment with questions and concerns. They kept bringing up the numbers, and I didn't have an answer besides the fact that I estimated to the best of my knowledge and tried to figure things out. Not to mention there were a few times when I was paid holidays, although this was not in my original work agreement which I gave them, but did not find out until 2-3 weeks after claims and did not know how to do anything about it. I feel as though I was not able to represent myself well, and I know that I DID NOT knowlingly do anything wrong, at most it was ignorance in this case and inability to get the support I needed. What can I do next about this matter?

In two weeks if I receive the final letter and it says that I owe 513 and that it was found that I did not knowingly report earnings correctly,fine I will pay in installments. If it was found that I did knowlingly report earnings and owe 513, even though the penalty does not even matter to me becuase I am full time, what matters is my dignity and name. It upset me that I was accused of this. Is this normal law in CT? What else are my options? Please help. Thank you.

Default Re: Unemployment Overpayment

It's not all that uncommon in ANY state.

Why did you have to "estimate" your earnings when you were working part-time?

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    It's not all that uncommon in ANY state.

Why did you have to "estimate" your earnings when you were working part-time?
    I had to because I did not receive paychecks until 2-3 weeks later, but had to claim unemployment weekly to receive benefits and pay bills. I called with this concern and this is what the unemployment office told me to do. Honestly, I would have preferred they called my part time employer and just gotten the information from them and then given me checks so I didn't have to go through this additional process. But apparently this is not what happens in the state- they only had one person working there at the time. So I guessed 16-18 per hour *16 is around 260 or 250 after taxes. I wasnt informed it was net or gross she told me to say what I earned. So I figured - taxes and had never been through the process. I didnt know until I received paychecks though weeks later. Unemployment never informed me either, which I thought if there was a problem with my estimates I would be either informed or notified without receiving checks. It never happened. But it was around 15.66 an hour, I actually had rounded up to 16 per hour and still ended up with a problem because I thought you reported net wage and because I received pay for things that were not in my contract; ie a few holidays which I should not have recieved unless I worked over 19 hours which I never did. I was in the school system,there were so many changes in hours, holidays, vacations etc. I did my best to report earnings.

You worked without knowing what your hourly rate would be?

you do not estimate earnings. You calculate them to the best of your ability. At the end of any given week, there are rarely any reasons you would not be able to simply calculate how much you earned. Hourly rate X hours worked. That's it.

Your second mistake was not correcting the amount once you did get a check with accurate wages.

I wasnt informed it was net or gross she told me to say what I earned
    you earned your hourly rate every hour you worked. You were paid that minus withholdings.

Hopefully they accept your argument of being naive.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    you do not estimate earnings. You calculate them to the best of your ability. At the end of any given week, there are rarely any reasons you would not be able to simply calculate how much you earned. Hourly rate X hours worked. That's it.

Your second mistake was not correcting the amount once you did get a check with accurate wages.

you earned your hourly rate every hour you worked. You were paid that minus withholdings.

Hopefully they accept your argument of being naive.
    I will admit niavitivety (sp) had some to do with it and the system because I did not know what was expected if it was over the amount due. Interestingly enough that is how I "calculated" it. Sorry I must have been using the term "estimated" loosly as that is what the person in the unemployment office told me to do. Maybe estimated was the wrong term. Hourly wage multiplied by hours worked. It ended up to be around 250-260 per week, which was exact on some accounts. (Minus a few weeks with 15 minutes here or there). It was when additonal items occured that I did not know what to do. Got paid holidays on some occassions and not all knowingly,etc. The system says report all earnings for the WEEK, thus wouldnt I be dishonest if I reported additional earnings from a previous week because I did not know I was paid for a holiday when I wasn't supposed to be contracted to get paid for one? If it is WEEKLY, I would be dishonest in reporting additional weeks, would I not? That is where my confusion lies. I calculated to the best of my ability weekly. And I understand that those calculations were incorrect. I will pay for the problem if the currency is the problem, but under no circumstances did I intentionally report anything under false pretenses.

1. Sponsored Links