Default Forgotten personal property

I recently sold a home in California and discovered 3 weeks after close of escrow that I had inadvertantly left 3 bottles of expensive wine tucked away in a small crate in the crawl space of the home. These bottles were collectively worth around $700 and had high sentimental value as they were destined as wedding/graduation gifts for my children.

I notified the buyer's realtor as soon as I realized this oversite. She promised to attempt to secure the wine for me. One week later, the realtor called me back stating that a contract plumber had found the wine and that the under-age son of the buyer consumed it.

My question is this: Do I have the legal right to recover the value of the wine from the buyers?

Default Properly Left In Home After Sale

It's highly unlikely. Normally, anything you leave in the home after you close becomes the property of the buyer.

Is this an absolute? We had a written agreement on what property I was leaving behind and the wine was not included in that agreement.

Default Abandoned Property

If you want a detailed analysis of California law, with an associated review of your contract, unfortunately you will need to consult a California lawyer who has the opportunity to review that contract.

1. Sponsored Links