Default Can You Obtain a Securtiy Clearance with Dismissed Charges and Recent Bad Credit

I had a charge of aggravated assault with firearm when I was 17 and charged as an adult. I was released on bond and the charges were dismissed, I am 32 now. I am applying for a secret clearance and the question states have you ever been charged with a firearm offense? I have gone to the courts and police station, as well as a NACI background check and they have no record what so ever that I was ever there. However, it was on my Military records when I first enlisted.

4 years ago I was charged with Agg assault and the judge dismissed my case due to self defense. Due to a divorce 4 years ago I ended up in 50K of bad debt with several that went into collections that I have just recently finally paid off. My questions

1. Do I include the charge when I was 17 on my SF86 questionaire?
    2. What is the likely-hood I be able to obtain a clearance with these factors on my background?
    3. Can you obtain a securtiy clearance with dismissed charges and recent bad credit?
    Any serious and constructive comments is appreciated

Default Re: Can You Obtain a Securtiy Clearance with Dismissed Charges and Recent Bad Credit

1. The best way to lose a clearance is to not say what they will find... And they WILL find it. Be honest...
    2. Don't know... the debt is actually most troublesome.
    3. I thought that was what the first two questions were for...

Default Re: Can You Obtain a Securtiy Clearance with Dismissed Charges and Recent Bad Credit

1. The question is "have you ever been charged" not "have you ever been convicted" so yes, you will need to disclose the arrest cause if a background check for the military found it, a background check for a security clearance will definitely find it. Also, the instructions on the SF86 clearly state to include any charges regardless of whether they were sealed, expunged, stricken or dismissed.
    2. If the agg assault charge was dismissed due to a court finding of self defense, it probably won't be a big issue. Just expect to have to fully explain the circumstances. The debt, as cyjeff said, is a HUGE red flag for a security clearance. It going to collections is another red flag but the fact you accepted responsibility and paid it will work in your favor. If you have had good credit the rest of your life, that will help as well.
    3. We cannot predict what will happen but be up-front and honest about it and then let the system work. Again, the debt is going to be your biggest obstacle.

To put our advice in another way, more people lose security clearances for leaving things out than for their records.

Thank you for your help. I was completely honest and I got the clearance. The debt was a huge factor but I had a chance to explain the circumstances and I was approved.

1. Sponsored Links