Hybrid View

Default How to Revoke Power of Attorney

My question involves a power of attorney in the state of: OR

About 12 years ago, my 2 brother and I each inherited a piece of commercial property from our parents. I own the property and the deed has my name on it. About 8 years ago, I gave my parents power of attorney to handle matters in regards to that property. Now, I want to revoke the POA. I sent a notarized, certified letter revoking the POA. They've refused to accept the certified mail. My questions are, 1) Even though they've refued the mail, does the revoking letter I sent have legal affect? 2) If not, how else, or what other means do I use to get them to accept the letter? 3) Even though my parents have refused the mail, if I sent copy of the revoked POA to the current tenants, and a letter requesting that from this point, they need to deal directly with me, and not parents, does this have legal affect and do the tenants have to as the letter directs? 4) If I were to send the letter to the current tenants, can I address as Dear current tenants or to whom it may concern, or do I need to know their names, in specific? Since my parents have not shared or shown me any tenant contract or other information, I do not have this information.

Your quickest reply will be appreciated.

Default Re: Poas

I couldn't find anything concerning being able to record the POA with the courts or government in any manner for Oregon. Has yours been registered in any way? and are you aware of any means to register a POA?

I cannot remember which mailing service allows you to have the delivery by the mailman recorded but does not require a signature by the recipient. Go to the USPS and as them. Then, send your letter of revocation that way. You will have a record of the delivery.

as well, yes, send a letter to the tenant stating your parents no longer have authority to act on you behalf.

If I were to send the letter to the current tenants, can I address as Dear current tenants or to whom it may concern, or do I need to know their names,
    you need to send to them by name. sending that certified return receipt requested would be a good idea as well.

Default Re: How to Revoke Power of Attorney

There are also financial matters concerning the property. The property is located in OR and the power of attorney holders are in OR. However, I live in AZ. If I were to pursue additional matter in court, do I obtain a lawyer in OR or AZ?

depends what they are. If it is an action against your parents, there is a good possibility you would need to take action in Oregon. You really should speak with an attorney that can review all the pertinent information for any given situation and advise you to the proper action.

Should I consult with the lawyer here in AZ? And what kind of lawyer do I consult with?

since you live in Arizona, I would consult an Arizona attorney to start. If s/he cannot do anything for you, they will (or at least; should) advice you of that and recommend where to head next. Not knowing what you need one for specifically, you would look for one that deals with the area of law you are having dealings in.

Default Re: Poas

be sneaky & send the letter in a big box hehehe .. nobody refuses a big box ...

1. Sponsored Links