Default Copyright issues with a digital art job offer

I do digital art paintings, and someone has offered me several commissions. I've read that it's legal to paint one original painting of anything or anyone, including celebrities, and sell it, but that the copyright infringement begins if multiple prints are sold of that painting. True?

Ok, here's where I get uneasy with this offer: The buyer plans to capture scenes from well known movies on DVD, send them to me, and pay me to paint them for one flat fee each. My involvement is limited to the original painting; the buyer intends to make copies of the paintings and sell them, but I would not receive any money from the sales.

I would love to earn the commissions, but I don't want to break any laws. What laws apply here? I think the buyer might at least be breaking some encryption laws, but I don't know how that would apply to me if I were under a contract as a contractor. Does my knowledge of what the buyer plans to do make me liable as well? Or am I making much ado about nothing?

Default Re: Copyright issues with a digital art job offer

There's no special immunity for producing a painting of a copyrighted image. But at the same time I've never heard of anybody pursuing the artist for making such a painting, when it isn't the artist who is seeking to exploit and profit from the commercial reproduction and sale of the copyrighted image.

1. Sponsored Links