Default What Happens if My Underage Girlfriend Visits Me Against Her Parents' Wishes

I have a question in regards to New York State laws. My girlfriend is 16 and I am 17. She came to visit me in college because her mom said she could but her father was highly against it. Now currently her father wants her home or else he will call the cops on me and have me arrested for kidnapping even though her mom let my girlfriend come see me and my girlfriend herself wanted to come. However I believe he cannot do that as he is not his legal parent. What I mean in this is that on my girlfriends birth certificate it only has her mother's signature as her father didn't even sign her birth certificate. Therefore I'm assuming her father has no legal rights on her as he doesn't have proof that she is her daughter. So my question is can I get arrested and charged for kidnapping if her father called the cops on me? and in the state of New York how old can you become a legal adult where the parents doesn't have control over their daughter is it 17 or 18?

I forgot to add she is only visiting me for 4 days and will be sent back home after 4 days. What can legally happen to me?

Default Re: What Happens if My Underage Girlfriend Visits Me Against Her Parents' Wishes

If you entice a sixteen-year-old to run away from home, even temporarily, you risk such charges as endangering the welfare of a child.

Default Re: What Happens if My Underage Girlfriend Visits Me Against Her Parents' Wishes

and in the state of New York how old can you become a legal adult where the parents doesn't have control over their daughter is it 17 or 18?

There is no state, including NY, where the age of majority is lower than 18.

Therefore I'm assuming her father has no legal rights on her as he doesn't have proof that she is her daughter.
    Don't assume. It's pretty likely that there is an acknowledgment of paternity or court documents with DNA test results. And likely court documents with custody and visitation orders.

Even if there isn't such documentation, if she's living with him, it's his house and his rules, and as long as she is under the age of legal majority, she does as she's told, or YES, he can have HER dragged back home as a runaway, and YOU charged with kidnapping or harboring a runaway. Those carry big fines, jail time, a lifelong criminal record, AND - if Daddy REALLY wants to teach you a lesson, he can have you charged with sexual misconduct under NY Penal Law 130.20. THAT earns you a lifelong place on the sex offender registry.

Step off, Romeo. Daddy's word is LAW until she turns 18, packs her bags, and moves out.

1. Sponsored Links