Default Is a Traffic Ticket Public Information

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: New Jersey

Is your name and address on a traffic summons in NJ public information that can be found out through NJ's OPRA ? A big plus would help if you can tell me specific law...

I requested information and the municipality refuses to include name and address's on the tickets. Those areas are blacked out.

Thanks in advance, anyone !!!

Default Re: Traffic Ticket Public Information

You are requesting these records for what purpose? Do they relate to a case that's presently under investigation or in the courts? May we reasonably assume that you have no record of conviction for an indictable offense?

For statutes, see NJSA 47:1A-1 et seq.

Earlier this year, I was pulled over in front of a school. The officer at the time of the traffic stop said to me that the school zone was 'active all day'. The only sign was a posted sign stating "25 when children are present".

After 6 months and 4 court appearances, the ticket was dismissed. Never was argued in front of judge. Prosecutor told my lawyer he wanted to drop it the first court date, but that the officer was not going to let it go. In the end, he had to, I guess...

So, I have a feeling this police unit has given out multiple tickets in front of such school, without merit, because of their misinterpretation of the rates of speed law in NJ, specifically pertaining to the sign " when children are present".

It cost me almost $800 to fight a ticket I should have not even received. I know there are plenty other people out there who just paid it, plea bargained it, etc.

My overall concern is, how much revenue this office brought in, illegally in my opinion.

I want to take the officer, or their precinct to court, to recover the money they cost me. And I want to notify others that of which was done to them.

Thanks for your reply. I already filled out the OPRA forms. Yhey copied tickets for me, but they blacked out peoples contact information.

I may be wrong in this thought, but once a 'complaint' is written (traffic summons, etc), doesn't that become public knowledge ? I know in the normal sense, that motor vehicle records might not be accessible due to privacy issues. But I would think that if you did something illegal on the roadways that warranted a ticket and court, that it then becomes public information. A traffic summons held on file by a municipality is not the same as records at the DMV, and doesn't have the same privacy protection.

Any input on this?

Did you ask their rationale? I suspect they're relying upon the statutory language, "a public agency has a responsibility and an obligation to safeguard from public access a citizen's personal information with which it has been entrusted when disclosure thereof would violate the citizen's reasonable expectation of privacy; and nothing contained in P.L.1963, c.73 (C.47:1A-1 et seq.), as amended and supplemented, shall be construed as affecting in any way the common law right of access to any record, including but not limited to criminal investigatory records of a law enforcement agency." If you have the ticket numbers you may be able to get names from the associated court records - you can ask the court if they can associate a ticket with a case file or entry based upon the ticket number.

You can talk over with your lawyer the chances of recovering any money from the police; I expect that he'll tell you that you have no chance of convincing the police to reimburse you for his fee.

1. Sponsored Links