Default Failure to Stop for a School Bus

My question involves traffic court in the State of: Michigan

I was driving home from work and saw a school bus, slowed down some but noticed cars next to the school bus going past it so I assumed it was clear for the opposite side to go. Guess not, got pulled over and handed by first ticket. I tried to explain that I thought it was fine to the officer since the other cars passed through but he didn't see them..

The ticket was for: FAIL TO STOP FOR SCHOOL BUS. $250 and 3 pts.

I'm going down to the court house tomorrow. Any tips to hopefully get it reduced? I really can't afford this at the time working part time and being a college student.

Default Re: Failure to Stop for a School Bus

Is this the law cited:

257.682 Stopping for school bus displaying flashing red lights; exception; violation as civil infraction; meeting stopped school bus on divided highway; evidence; community service.
    Sec. 682.

(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking or meeting a school bus which has stopped and is displaying 2 alternately flashing red lights located at the same level shall bring the vehicle to a full stop not less than 20 feet from the school bus and shall not proceed until the school bus resumes motion or the visual signals are no longer actuated. At an intersection where traffic is controlled by an officer or a traffic stop-and-go signal a vehicle need not be brought to a full stop before passing a stopped school bus, but may proceed past the school bus at a speed not greater than is reasonable and proper but not greater than 10 miles an hour and with due caution for the safety of passengers being received or discharged from the school bus. The driver of a vehicle who fails to stop for a school bus as required by this subsection, who passes a school bus in violation of this subsection, or who fails to stop for a school bus in violation of an ordinance that complies with this subsection, is responsible for a civil infraction.

(2) The driver of a vehicle upon a highway which has been divided into 2 roadways by leaving an intervening space, or by a physical barrier, or clearly indicated dividing sections so constructed as to impede vehicular traffic, need not stop upon meeting a school bus which has stopped across the dividing space, barrier, or section.

(3) In a proceeding for a violation of subsection (1), proof that the particular vehicle described in the citation was in violation of subsection (1), together with proof that the defendant named in the citation was, at the time of the violation, the registered owner of the vehicle, shall constitute in evidence a presumption that the registered owner of the vehicle was the driver of the vehicle at the time of the violation.

(4) In addition to the civil fine and costs provided for a civil infraction under section 907, the judge, district court referee, or district court magistrate may order a person who violates this section to perform not to exceed 100 hours of community service at a school.
    if so, were the red lights on?

your description doesn't make a lot of sense though. If a car was next to the bus, where were you where you could continue? Was this a 4 or more lane roadway? Was there a median? Did the bus have a stop arm?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Is this the law cited:

if so, were the red lights on?

your description doesn't make a lot of sense though. If a car was next to the bus, where were you where you could continue? Was this a 4 or more lane roadway? Was there a median? Did the bus have a stop arm?
    I was going east bound. The bus was on the opposite direction then me. There where 4 lanes plus a median in the middle. I could not see the stop arm from the angle I was at.

I don't think I'm going to fight it since the cop didn't see any cars (which there where) go beside the bus.

I'm probaly going to plead guilty. Any tips on how to reduce the fines/points?

If there was a median you do not need to stop. See (2) above.

There's a image, so does that work with it? There are yellow line medians.

a yellow line is not a median. It must be a physical barrier.

highway which has been divided into 2 roadways by leaving an intervening space, or by a physical barrier, or clearly indicated dividing sections so constructed as to impede vehicular traffic,
    I can't tell with the Google Earth imposed yellow lines. Is there a raised concrete partition between the opposing directions of traffic?

Just regular yellow lines

nope, not a median.

I am presuming the red lights were flashing. If so, I don't see any defense to the charge.

1. Sponsored Links