Default Following Too Closely

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: New York

I was going to visit my boyfriend in New York. I am from New Jersey, and had left straight after work. As I have a bad sense of direction regardless of where I am I was following my GPS. It's roughly an hour and a half drive and I was starting to realize I needed use the bathroom as well as find a gas station as my car was almost out of gas. I was in the far left lane and got into the exit lane as the gps was telling me to do so as the exit it said I needed was coming up. I realized I'd entered it a little fast as the car in the lane I had just merged into wasn't going so fast as the exit had a light at the end which was red, and instantly hit my break to slow down so that I wasn't too close to him.

Maybe ten seconds later a cop pulls me over, and I assume it was for speeding(I was going 70 in a 50 due to having to pee), however he asks me if I was drunk, which offends me as I hate alcohol and said I was weaving and tailgating. I do not know what consists of "tailgating" in New York, but I'm sure there was at least two lengths between me and the car of whose lane I had just merged into. He only gave me a ticket for tailgating and nothing else. Any advice on this is appreciated, as I've been informed that the cops in that area are rather corrupt and I'm not happy about getting a ticket from a cop who thought I was an easy target due to being from out of state.

Default Re: Following Too Closely

Quote Quoting blackjack7
    View Post
    I was going 70 in a 50 due to having to pee... there was at least two lengths between me and the car of whose lane I had just merged into.
    Two car lengths between you and the vehicle in front of you is hardly a "safe following distance" when you're moving at 70mph...

The average reaction time (before you even hit on your brakes) if traffic were to stop in front of you is approximately 1.5 seconds.
    At 70mph, you're traveling at approximately 100 feet per second.
    So at 70mph, you're traveling 150 feet before you even begin to hit on your brakes...
    Average stopping distance from 70mph to zero mph is 200 feet
    So 150 feet (reaction time) + 200 feet (stopping distance) = 350 feet

The average car lenght is 15 feet.
    2 car lengths is 30 feet...

Conclusion: You were WAY TOO CLOSE!

However, if you think the cop is corrupt, you're free to request a hearing to contest the citation, explain the situation and hope for the best.

Good luck!

1. Sponsored Links