Default Can a Tenant in Common Roommate Rent Half of Premises Without Co-Owner's Consent

My question involves a roommate in the State of: PA

I currently co-own a home with a roomate. We had agreed to hold the title under tenants in common. IN the past few weeks my roomate's life situation has changed dramatically. Without my knowledge he had began posting advertisements offerring to rent "half of a house". My question is can he legally enter a lease for the house even though we both co-own the property. Secondly is there anyway to block what is going on. I had hoped that my roomate would have given me an opportunity to find someone we could both agree upon, however that seems unlikely now that the advertisements have been placed.

Thanks for your help

Default Re: Can a Tenant in Common Roommate Rent Half of Premises Without Co-Owner's Consent

The practical impediment to his plan is that you have equal rights to the entire premises. I am skeptical that a roommate is going to want to sign on to a lease, over your objection, when you would not be contracting away your right to access, for example, the tenant's bedroom.

If you have the resources, it sounds like a good time to try to negotiate a buyout of your co-owner's interest.

1. Sponsored Links