Default Alienation of Affection in Mississippi

My question involves alienation of affection law for the State of: Mississippi.
    I left my husband in November of 2009. He was abusive and an alcoholic. I returned to MS and once he got discharged from the air force he went back to CA. We have carried on a barely worth mentioning phone relationship. I led him to believe that we could one day work things out. It was much easier than taking his harassment. We also have a two year old daughter that he has NEVER had anything to do with. He has always threatened to fight for custody to keep me around. About three months ago i met someone. I could no longer lie to my husband about wanting to work things out. I told him that i really wanted a divorce this time. He spent hours trying to talk me out of it. He told me he had bought plane tickets to come see us in the hopes of me falling madly in love with him when i laid eyes on him (GAG ME). I felt like i had to tell him there was someone else. I told him and he took it very well....he said he would sign the divorce papers and we even worked out a very agreeable custody arrangement. Then he calls me out of the blue telling me he is suing me for alienation of affection. He is a resident of California....and there was NO relationship long before i met the someone else. Is it possible that he would have a case for alienation of affection?

Default Re: Alienation of Affection in Mississippi

He needs to realize that YOU would not be the party he would need to sue. He would have to sue your boyfriend and prove that had it not been for his - your boyfriend's - interference, the marriage would still be intact.

The fact that you led him on is not in your favor and since you're still married it was a big mistake telling him that you had met someone else.

Is he trying to use this in a custody battle?

Have you actually been served with anything?

Thanks for your response! No, i have not been served with anything yet. I honestly dont think he knows what hes talking about. He just said that someone in NC recently won 250000 dollars, and that since i cheated he would just "hit my pockets". I definatly realize i shouldnt have told him, but i felt backed into a corner and that i needed to be honest before he visited for the wrong reasons. he doesnt even know my boyfriends name or anything.
    If he would actually have to prove our marriage would still be intact, that would be impossible. I have audio recordings of his verbal abuse and emails that show just how manipulative he was. He has been diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, so he is seriously disturbed. Would it be possible to use this in a custody battle? He has been around our daughter for maybe six months of her life and was drunk and playing video games for most of that.
    If he has no info on my boyfriend, who would he sue? He also has no proof of anything as i spoke to a lawyer MONTHS ago who advised me to "behave like mary poppins".

If he is and has always been domiciled in California, he can't bring a case for alienation of affection in Mississippi.

He was stationed here in Mississsippi from 2005-2008, but never claimed residency in MS, he always paid taxes to PA.

He is completely blowing smoke.

What happens in NC - which is one of the FEW states (MS is also one but since his legal residency appears to be either CA or PA that matters not) recognizing AoA suits - does NOT apply to the rest of the country.

Ignore him until and unless you're served.

1. Sponsored Links