Default Landlord Breaking Lease

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Washington

I entered into a year-long lease agreement on February 1st of this year. I paid a $700 security deposit plus $250 refundable deposit and $250 non-refundable fee. The owner of the home was out of the country and using a property manager. On September 8th, she called me to tell me that the owner was returning to the USA and wanted his house back and wanted me out by the end of September.

Complicating this situaton is that I owed $300 from July, for which we had made a re-payment plan and to which both the property owner and property manager had agreed. In mid-August a mutual agreement had been made that I would pay in weekly installments vs monthly as I'm on unemployment and it would be easier for me to budget. This plan gave the owner an additional $250 over and above my lease agreement (and the repayment plan). By the time I spoke with the property manager, I had made two $250 payments. The property manager told me not to make any additional payments.

The owner now maintains that only the $700 was refundable and feels he owes me nothing even though I've never had a written notice but had agreed to be out by the end of September.

Any advice?

Default Re: Landlord Breaking Lease

Why are you moving out? If there is a signed lease in place, the landlord has to uphold his end of the bargain. The late payments or change in how the payments are made is not usually grounds to terminate any lease without formal notice. I'll have to look over Wash. law further.

1. Sponsored Links