Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can a Parent Get on a Child's Facebook Account

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Iowa
    Can a Parent get on to there child's facebook page and change it and delete things and delete friends and photos and so on so fourth?

My best friends parent has done just that.

Default Re: Can a Parent Get on a Childs Facebook And

Quote Quoting jwalk
    View Post
    Can a Parent get on to there child's facebook page and change it and delete things and delete friends and photos and so on so fourth?

i don't see why not ..if the parent doesn't want him/her doing certain things and doesn't want her to be hanging out with certain people .. a parent does not have to provide there child with a computer its not a law.. the parent deleted some friends and pictures the parent is doing there job because there must be a reason behind it (were they pictures of underage drinking maybe) ... well it does not matter anyway because its not a law ... plus its not hard to make a new one its just going to take some time to add all the friends back... parents are allowed to monitor what ever there child is doing under there roof and untill they are 18 in most states..... this made me laugh a little

Quote Quoting jwalk
    View Post

Yup. 100% legal.

Some of us call that "parenting".

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

I've done it and dare my child to say anything about it.

Quote Quoting CourtClerk
    View Post
    I've done it and dare my child to say anything about it.
    You Betcha. I was just going to say that very thing!

Quote Quoting mr.unlucky
    View Post
    parents are allowed to monitor what ever there child is doing under there roof and untill they are 18 in most states..... this made me laugh a little
    At my house, this is called The Dcotrine of My House, My Rules. Now, I don't go so far as to alter my boys' Facebook pages (but then, I don't find anything objectionable about them posting vacation/homecoming/senior pictures, either), but I monitor the traffic on my network, and you can bet that there is Hell To Pay if I find objectionable traffic.

Even the 18 year old has to follow the rules.

Default Re: Can a Parent Get on a Childs Facebook Account

Wouldn't it depend on the manner in which the account was accessed?

If the kid was there and allowed them in, the only problem might be that according to Facebook the kid had the responsibility of keeping that information to themselves.

If the parents hacked it or accessed it without permission......then technically they're accessing a computer without authorization - the Facebook server being the computer being accessed, not the one in the den.

This is interesting:

http://socialstalking.com/index.php/...nt-or-do-they/

The case that this is talking about, the mother was convicted of misdemeanor harassment - she changed the password and posted things as the son.

About deleting photos....kid could argue ownership of intellectual property rights to those images (whether there's anything truly intellectual about them or not ). I don't know exactly what that means as far as them being deleted without permission....but now I'm kinda interested in finding out...

If the parents hacked the account without the child's permission it could, in theory, be criminal. But, I cannot imagine a single District Attorney in any state filing against such a parent.

The alternative would be, of course, for the parent to take the child's computer access away and contact Facebook, MySpace or whatever and have them remove the so ace (those sites tend to pay attention to parents these days).

In short, it might be illegal, but no one is going to pursue it.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Well, Clark County, Arkansas apparently - not exactly for hacking, but for actions taken after hacking.

Facebook legal cases are growing, for all kinds of reasons. I don't think any of you parents want to hack your kid's accounts and change their status to Johnny Doe liked to run around like a Naked Cowboy until he was 8. Because Johnny might file charges and you'll be responsible for costs when the Naked Cowboy sues Johnny.

In terms of contacting the social network to have things removed....Facebook states an age of 13 for use. And it also states that the account holder owns their content but they retain the right to remove content if it infringes on copyright, intellecutal property rights or the law.....so...how do you play that one?

If Facebook removed completely legal content - which I own - based on something my mom said...I'd totally be going to the media with some questions - and the media loves Facebook stories.

The simple solution is to tell the child that they will make their passwords available to the parent at all times while living under the parent's roof and that their internet activity is subject to monitoring and restrictions as deemed necessary by the parent. Failure to do so results in loss of as many privileges as the parent deems appropriate. That way no hacking occurs. If my child were to report something like this to the police, the moment they turn 18 their butt is on the street..so long, see ya never. Yes, there are laws involved but sometimes the ability to parent should take precedence. Now before the usual nuts start spouting garbage. I'm talking about monitoring your child's comings and goings, communication, etc.. and not where issues of abuse are concerned.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast