Default Can I Get Unemployment Insurance After State Disability Benefits Run Out

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: California

Hi...I had back surgery in November 2009 and have been on State Disability since then. My doctor still thinks I need some time to heal, but we want to believe I will be "Willing, ready and able" to work in the next 2 months before or when my state disability claim expires.

1. Is there such a thing as an extension of state disability beyond the 52 weeks?

2. Can I apply for Unemployment Insurance even though I have only been receiving state disability income? Am I disqualified because I have not been working or receiving regular wages?

I can't seem to find these answers ANYwhere. I don't want to screw myself. I tried a part-time job last month and was in too much pain and had to quit...so I am faced with the possibility of SSDI as well. I'd rather go on UI and believe I can force myself to work, but can I?

Thank you in advance for your responses...xoxooxx, Dragon Fly

Default Re: Can I Get Unemployment Ins. After California State Disability

1. Not to my knowledge, no. There is SSDI, but it takes a LONG time to work through the process and if you aren't permanently disabled, you may not get it.

2. You have to have the requisite quarters and wages in the first four of the last five completed quarters to financially qualify for UI. If you opened a claim in November, 2010, that would be the period of July 2009 through June 2010, so the answer would be no.

1. Sponsored Links