Default J1 to B2 Grace Period

Hello there,

I would appreciate if you could answer the following question:

Currently I've been in the US since the 1st of July as a participant of Work and Travel program. Thus, my visa expired 1st of September (not a subject to a 2 year rule), my DS - the 15th of September. I applied for a change of status to B-2 but haven't got the paper confirming it's pending yet. Now I reside in NY but would like to go on a holiday for in October (6th-13th).

So the question is - am I permitted to leave the New York state? I'm looking at two possibilities - to go to Nevada by plane which seems so reasonable and go there by bus which would take 2 days and a lot of nerves but I assume no one will be interested in my documents as well. Could it be possible if in the airport I'd say that I am on my 30 day grace period travelling and coming back to NY in a week?

Default Re: J1 to B2 Grace Period

Quote Quoting nyyellow
    View Post
    Hello there,

I would appreciate if you could answer the following question:

Currently I've been in the US since the 1st of July as a participant of Work and Travel program. Thus, my visa expired 1st of September (not a subject to a 2 year rule), my DS - the 15th of September. I applied for a change of status to B-2 but haven't got the paper confirming it's pending yet. Now I reside in NY but would like to go on a holiday for in October (6th-13th).

So the question is - am I permitted to leave the New York state? I'm looking at two possibilities - to go to Nevada by plane which seems so reasonable and go there by bus which would take 2 days and a lot of nerves but I assume no one will be interested in my documents as well. Could it be possible if in the airport I'd say that I am on my 30 day grace period travelling and coming back to NY in a week?
    You cannot "reside" as you have applied to "visit". Thus, your intent is suspicious.

Default Re: J1 to B2 Grace Period

Misuse of the word. I meant 'stay'.

1. Sponsored Links