Exclamation Creationism vs Evolutionism

Hi,

I'm not involved in law, but I am a senior in high school and am very interested in it after studying government for the past couple of weeks.

My question is this:

If in the first amendment states:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

and the establishment clause ensures the prohibition of:

1. The establishment of a national religion by Congress (also meaning no financial aid may be supplied); and
    2. The preference of one religion over another

then,

How can government at the federal, state, or local levels (I'm guessing state decides if evolution is taught) allow evolutionism to be taught in schools and not that of creationism? Evolutionism promotes athiesm because it causes/promotes the belief that there is no God. Evolutionism itself can be considered to be a religion and it is being greatly funded by government. How can government prohibit the free exercise of Christianity (creationism) but allow evolutionism (a religion in itself)?

This breaks the first amendment under freedom of religion, the first and second parts of the establishment clause, and the free exercise clause.

I'm definitely not a lawyer and do not study law, I'm simply interested in the subject. Sorry if this was posted somewhere else or is in the wrong section!

Also, if this is wrong or has reasonable evidence to establish an argument, how would someone go about changing the ruling?

EDIT: Sorry, this is in Georgia by the way, don't know if that matters.

Thanks,
    Christianity

Default Re: Creationism vs Evolutionism

If you want a historical perspective, try this book (it's a play; you can also rent the movie version).

Evolution is science. Science can be taught in what schools call "science class".

Creationism is religion. Religious beleifs can be taught in certain types of religion or philosophy classes, and sometimes religious texts can be taught as literature, but religion is not science and thus does not belong in the science classes of public schools.

Many major churches accept the science of evolution without finding it inconsistent with their belief in God. If your church is afraid that people won't believe its teachings if they learn and understand science, that's not the fault of science.

Quote Quoting Christianity
    View Post
    evolutionism itself can be considered to be a religion
    Science is falsifiable; religion is not.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Evolution is science. Science can be taught in what schools call "science class".

Creationism is religion. Religious beleifs can be taught in certain types of religion or philosophy classes, and sometimes religious texts can be taught as literature, but religion is not science and thus does not belong in the science classes of public schools.
    Yes, but Christianity and creationism are science as well. There is science that proves creationism and even a branch of creationism called "creation sceince" that is considered a science. So, why is one taught over the other?

Quote Quoting Tort
    View Post
    Science is falsifiable; religion is not.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability
    Well, something such as evolution, which is so falsifiable beyond doubt due to extraordinary lack of proof of the steps that are in the evolutionary process at the molecular level, how can that even be taught?

From wikipedia:
    The concept was made popular by Karl Popper in his philosophical analysis of the scientific method. Popper concluded that a hypothesis, proposition, or theory is "scientific" only if it is, among other things, falsifiable. That is, falsifiability is a necessary (but not sufficient) criterion for scientific ideas. Popper asserted that unfalsifiable statements are non-scientific, although not without relevance.
    Christianity and creation science are falsifiable, as is evolution (except very much more so).

Why is only evolution taught? If creation science exists and meets the rules to establish it as a "theory," as well as multiple other topics that consider how we began, then how come evolution is accepted to be the ideal theory?

Again, like I said, I'm not a lawyer. I'm just thinking, asking ideas, I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong or make anyone look bad!

Thanks,
    Christianity

You will find like-minded people on HVAC forums.

I do recommend this book for everyone
    http://www.amazon.com/Being-Certain-.../dp/0312359209

I should have known better than to reply to this post.

Yes, yes you should have.

We don't help religionists grind their axes here.

1. Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources