Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Obtaining Title for a Vehicle Who's Previous Owner is Deceased

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: SC

The car has not been registered in over 10 years, and the owner died years ago. I have contacted the SC DMV several times, and all they tell me is that the previous owner has to get the title...again, he is dead.

If it makes any difference the car is an antique or classic (over 25 years old) and doesn't have the standardized 17-digit VIN which appeared in the 80's.

Would it be possible for me to just go into the SC DMV and apply for a lost title?

Default Re: Obtaining Title for a Vehicle Who's Previous Owner is Deceased

you need to get a title from the owner. Since the titled owner is deceased, then you need to deal with the executor or administrator of his estate. His estate continues to own the car until somebody with the authority transfers it to another person.

how did you even come into possession of this vehicle?

It was bought by a shop I used to work with, they used it for a local motorsports event, and then sold it to me.

then get the title from them.

They do not have the title for it. They bought it without one, because they only wanted to use it for that one race.

They are working on getting the title in NC, where I bought the car. But I am just trying to see if there is any way I can do it in SC, so I do not need to tow the car AGAIN back to NC

so, what proof does this garage have they purchased the vehicle?.

Only a bill of sale from a family member of the deceased owner. He described to me the process they are going through to get the title, which I have no problem waiting for, I am just trying to see if I am able to do it in SC so I don't have to tow the vehicle again

You have a lot of things going on and there is no clarity. Now you toss in another state. Is the car legally titled in SC? Is this garage in SC?

did this garage buy the car from the decedent (obviously it would be prior to death) or from this family member of the decedent (after the title holders death)?

If post death, was this family member the exec or administrator of the decedents estate or did they legally inherit the car from the estate that wasn't probated?

If the car is titled in SC, was the official SC Bill of Sale used?

as it stands, I can find nothing that will allow you to claim ownership and apply for a title in your name. Title is as controlled as it is for a reason and the rules are in place so as to not be able to easily frustrate that control. If the garage is attempting to get the title, I would simply wait for that.

The garage where I purchased the car, is in NC. I live in SC.

The car was purchased by the garage from a relative of the title holder, after the title holder's death. I am not sure if they were the administrator of the estate.

The car is not titled in SC. I am trying to title it in SC.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    You have a lot of things going on and there is no clarity. Now you toss in another state. Is the car legally titled in SC? Is this garage in SC?

did this garage buy the car from the decedent (obviously it would be prior to death) or from this family member of the decedent (after the title holders death)?

If post death, was this family member the exec or administrator of the decedents estate or did they legally inherit the car from the estate that wasn't probated?

If the car is titled in SC, was the official SC Bill of Sale used?

as it stands, I can find nothing that will allow you to claim ownership and apply for a title in your name. Title is as controlled as it is for a reason and the rules are in place so as to not be able to easily frustrate that control. If the garage is attempting to get the title, I would simply wait for that.

ok, north Carolina does offer what is called a "bonded title". Not sure if they will provide one given this situation but you can call them. Here is the website concerning bonded titles:

[URL="http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/vehiclesBonded.html"]

never mind. It appears it is not available to residents of other states. Maybe the garage can use this process to obtain the title and then sell it to you. I would investigate that thoroughly before committing the money required to obtain a bonded title.
    It sounds like a real pain in the butt.

If this relative did not have the right to sell the vehicle, then the title is still rightfully in the decedents name. If the seller did have the right to sell the car, it would have been through they acquiring rights as admin of the estate or an an heir either through the probate action or, if there was no probate action, by filing the proper forms that allowed them to claim title.

If the relative was none of the above, the car was not legally sold to the garage and as such, quite likely getting a title isn't happening.

so far, I found nothing that will allow you to claim title, let alone title it in SC.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast