Question Conflict Between Co-Owners Over a Property

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some information . My Grandmother left me a small portion of her property in Colorado. I co-own the land with my Aunt who lives in Texas. My Grandfather who passed away in 1977 still has his name on the deed for the property. He has left no will and my Grandmother never had this fixed. He was not my Father's real father and he never adopted my father. When my father was 18 he had is last name changed to my Grandfather's. Half of the house on one section of property is on the neighbor's land. I am living on the one section of land right now and am being told by my Aunt that I have to move until the legal issues are fixed. The County is involved now because we still have to take care of a well and septic system for the land. My Aunt was listed on the deed as the one responsible for the taxes I would like to be on this also but do not know what to do about it. The land was left with decades of stuff littering the property. For the past three years, I have been the one who has been taking care of this issue so that the other neighbors to not complain. I moved back to the property to live so that I could take care of these legal issues, as well as the well and septic system issues. Can my Aunt make me move? The neighbors are ok with me living in the part of the house that is on their property. I am also begining the steps to resovle the well and septic systems issues. My Aunt does own a larger portion of the parcells that our names are on. Any advice as to what I should do and how I should handle this would be greatly appreciated. I am looking into hiring a local attorney to help me with these issues. I am concerned that my Aunt will try to take my share away from me some how.

Default Re: Property Nightmare

Why does your aunt want you to move? Has there been a court order requiring that the property be vacated? Has the certificate of occupancy been revoked due to its condition? Or something else?

The County is saying that I need to put in a well and a septic system. I am ok with working on getting this done. My Aunt says that the property and boundry issues must be delt with first. This all started when some lady who knew my Great Uncle (he lived on the property for several years eventhough my Grandparents owned it) found out that I was living there again. She then wrote a letter to the Building Department. The Building Department got a hold of my Aunt since she is the name on the taxes. My Aunt tried to buy me out after the property was inherited. My other Aunts and my sister sold to her, I did not. She wanted to give me $1500. for my undivided 1/5 of approx. 8 acres. The County will not evict me if I work on getting the well and septic. They say that I should deal with the legal issues first too. That is why I moved back out to the house, so that I could invest in these issues instead of having to pay rent for some other place to live. Can my Aunt make me move when my name is on the deed too? I feel like she is trying to bully me into something that I dod not have to do.

I don't know your aunt's rights. You should consider consulting a real estate lawyer, who can review the various deeds, estate documents, and any other relevant paperwork.

I am currently checking out local Real Estate lawyers. I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me an idea.

It will be very difficult for your aunt to evict you since you claim to be a co-owner. You need an attorney to straighten out the deed issues and yor and your aunt should split the cost in proportion. Evidentially the cost of an attorney may be more than the value of the property so you may want to see if you might qualify for any free legal help available in your area.

Thank you very much for the information that you have given me. I did find out about legal assistance in my area. I still need to find out if I qualify. The property is worth it. It is in the mountains near a major ski resort and has a creek that runs through the property. Our family has owned property in this are since the 30's.

Smile Re: Property Nightmare

I think I have found a Real Estate Attorney for my problems. It is a law firm. Any thoughts on specific questions I should ask them? They are going to be coming out to the property to walk the boundary lines and get a clearer picture of the situation.

1. Sponsored Links