Hybrid View

Default Ticketed for CVC 22107 After Avoiding an Accident

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: CA.

I was given a ticket for CVC 22107 after swearing to avoid a car that made a right on red directly in front of me. The officer said he didn't see the other car make a right on red but only saw me swerve around him.

Do I have a case or does avoiding an accident not count as a reason to make a lane change without signaling?

The whole situation goes like this: I was driving along a two lane (each direction) city street at approx the speed limit and I was in the right lane. I started to approach an intersection and noticed many cars waiting at the red light of the cross street. Much to my surprise, just as I entered the intersection, a car made a right turn on red. Not only did the person make a right on red directly in front of me, they also took their sweet time making the turn. I was going ~30mph, I didn't think I had enough room to stop, so I quickly looked to my left and swerved into the left lane. It was a very short block and the next light had turned red so I had to swerve back into my original lane to avoid the stopping cars. I saw the cop pull out from behind a building and thought to myself "good at least the guy's getting a ticket". Much to my surprise, I was the one getting a ticket. I explained to the officer what had happened and he told me that he couldn't see the guy turn from his location. Then gave me a ticket anyways.

Can I fight this? I did "per the law, CVC 22107" make an illegal move because I did not signal and the guy that cut me off had to abruptly brake for me and the light.

Thanks for any insight.

Default Re: Ticketed for CVC 22107 After Avoiding an Accident

Quote Quoting VC 22107 - Turning Movements and Required Signals
    No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.
    You have the right to contest the ticket, and to argue to the court that you were responding to an emergency situation.

1. Sponsored Links