Question Required Test When On Pain Meds

Hello,

I have tried searching online for the answer to this question and am having no luck. I would assume there are certain test, that doctors have to request once every 6 months or etc.

If the Dr. has you on pain meds, should he/she require you to take a certain test every 6 months or whatever, to make sure the pain meds are not damaging the inside of your body? Example, I know taking your weight is not a test but would a pain managment dr be required to check your weight? To see if the meds are causing you to lose Lbs??

If the Dr. is required to have certain test done, what would some of them be?

Thanks so much for your time and help,

Jon

Default Re: Required test when on pain meds

It depends upon the pain meds, and their known side-effects. If somebody is on a significant level of a pain medication containing Tylenol, for example, it is reasonable to periodically test that person's liver enzymes as long-term use of acetaminophen (particularly at high doses) can cause liver damage.

Weight loss would seem to be something that would be obvious to both the doctor and patient without any need for testing (other than the routine step up onto a scale), particularly if it were reaching a level where it would be of medical concern.

Question Re: Required test when on pain meds

Hello again,

Thanks for taking the time to help out. I understand it would depend on what you are taking, but what I'm asking is if there is a 'set' guide line of certain tests a doctor should do or request, if you see this doctor for a long time???

Lets say the doctor is only prescribing asprine and you see him once a month for 3 years...Is there not a required test the doctor should ask for every so often...like a blood test, or somthing? Maybe I'm not explaining it right, but I dont understand why there would not be a set rule that doctors have to follow.

To explain what I'm taking...currently I'm on DURAGESIC which has fentanyl and I wear 2 patches at 100mg each, for a total of 200mg and apply new ones every 2 days. Also take 30mg ms contin 2x aday. I weight 150 lbs. I know the patch is for a 3 day, but my Dr. has told me to wear it for only 2 days.

Sorry for writing so much, Im just trying to get a better handle on this.

Aspirin is GRAS (generally regarded as safe), and is an over-the-counter medication. If the doctor prescribes a high level of ASA or a related drug (e.g., salsalate) the doctor may monitor its blood levels to ensure that they are within a safe and medically appropriate range.

If you don't believe your doctor is following proper protocols, consult another physician so you can be sure.

Question Re: Required test when on pain meds

Hello arron,

Thanks for taking the time to help me on this. I cant begin to explain how important it truly is.

You mentioned it might be needed to test if on certain meds and you gave a few examples. The drugs I mentioned being on, do you know if these would also be a type of drug you would test the levels on?

Also, you wrote about 'following proper protocols'. Aside from having to goto another doctor first, how can I find out what the 'following proper protocols' are??? Is there a website or etc that might have what steps to 'follow'???

Again, thanks so much for taking the time. I understand how important your time must be and really appreciate all the help.

Jon

If you don't wish to consult a doctor, see if you can find information in the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference) in a local library, or on a site like drugs.com or medlineplus.gov .

1. Sponsored Links