Default Skipping a Semester of College

My question involves child support in the State of: NJ

Just out of 100% curiosity.

My daughter will be completing her associate degree in the beginning of February, which is a semester early. She is planning to attend the main campus of her university, which is in another state, this September to obtain her B.A. Degree, instead of going immediately in the middle of February, when the Spring semester starts. So basically she will be taking off 6 to 7 months off from college.

My question is: Can I seek a CS reduction during those 6 months? I am not planning to take any action, just curious if I have an option to research.

Default Re: Skipping a Semester of College

What does your support order say?

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    What does your support order say?
    "Pay until someone tell you to stop paying." Only in NJ !!! My paycheck garnished, so I probably won't get that call, it will just stop being garnished one day. Its the reason why I don't call the CS Agency. I am afraid of pissing off that "Someone" by asking too many questions.

I guess I can figure out the answer to my question.

Thanks.

Child support in the state of NJ will never stop until you file the motion. They don't keep track of what your support order says. I've heard of some men paying (or being charged) until kids were into their 20's and never went to college. They just figured it would stop on it's own. It won't. Having gone through this with my husband and his ex, my suggestion would be once your child is not registered full time for school and is working to support herself... file a motion to emancipate. Then when/if she does go back to school, pay her the support you would have paid your ex.

Quote Quoting Imissva
    View Post
    Child support in the state of NJ will never stop until you file the motion. They don't keep track of what your support order says. I've heard of some men paying (or being charged) until kids were into their 20's and never went to college. They just figured it would stop on it's own. It won't. Having gone through this with my husband and his ex, my suggestion would be once your child is not registered full time for school and is working to support herself... file a motion to emancipate. Then when/if she does go back to school, pay her the support you would have paid your ex.
    Thanks for your reply.

I talked to my daughter recently and she in love with the new campus she will be going too next. So she leaning to NOT skipping a semister. Which means if everything goes well she will actually finish get her 4 year degree in 3 years. Oh cource I got the boyfriend issue, that may kill that 3 year plan. He won't be moving on to the next campus until Sepetember. He the reason why she thinking about skipping semister. Oh well...

Yeah...When my daughter was 18 and had no college plans I tried to end the CS. I got a lot of promises about sending paperwork to me and the CP from the officer in charge and he didn't carry anything out. So I know when all said and done and it is the right time to file, I will have to get a lawyer or plan to do a lot of writing letters and making a lot of phone calls, to the proper people in charge, or it will never end.

1. Sponsored Links